Parking Lot Incident on 1099

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WheelSpin, Mar 30, 2023.

1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I think the punishment is you have to go spend a year in the owners crappy third world homeland. But I’m not certain.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    This politically incorrect deduction is accurate.

4. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    Now I'm wondering how to report this the best way possible. It'd be great if this has been discussed on the forum and someone can share it.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Whether you get points or not is out of the company's hands. Once an accident or ticket gets linked to your license, you can count on your MVR having a blemish. You'll have to wait 3 years for it to fall off. It isn't the end of the world if you have points on your license, you'll just have to be more careful. Some companies will still hire you and some won't. This won't hurt you too badly.

WheelSpin Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Everyone remember this:

No lawyer/paralegal composes every word in that legal paperwork when you are served, instead they use long established to be legal 'boilerplate' paragraphs that apply to what they believe is their case.

Like a chinese menu, "we need a #1, #3, #6 and end with a #21"

The driver is never considered the deep pockets when insurance and a company are involved so the same source of the boilerplate has a group of 'catch all' address lines designed to cover all the bases like:

Driver John Smith and any others such as XYZ Corporation or ANY other corporations, john or Jane doe and any others, et all.

This scatter-gun approach is designed to rope in anyone and everyone.

If OP get sued so does everyone else connected to the truck, don't sweat it.

Now Vladimir and his cronies may pay small items [usually less than or close to the deductible] and being somewhat less than scrupulous may charge it back to you...because he can in his mind.

In truck and car accidents you are never the only one on the lawsuit and could be named in order to get the insurance back in the game after they have denied the claim as they are seeking access to the deepest pockets.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    WheelSpin Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well, you can go to court or you can file a complaint with the state department of labor and the IRS.

However, find another company to work for, no matter what. Stop being a slave to these types of companies, they don't care. What Wis bang said is correct, I said you will be liable but you won't have to deal with giving up the money from a lawsuit, you will have to deal with the cheap owner trying to charge back the costs from the losses. Now, this is why I said to find another company to work for.

bryan21384, WheelSpin and wis bang Thank this.
  8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Hopefully it doesn't. Like I mentioned before, anyone can be sued. Whether they win is a different story. However i was never a 1099 like yourself.

9. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    Being an interstate operator, are they subject to DoL jurisdiction?

10. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    Does the DOL have jurisdiction with interstate motor carriers?

QUOTE="Ridgeline, post: 12386536, member: 77050"]find another company to work for,[/QUOTE]

Yes.

11. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    The following will sound like a copout, so here it is: the reason this happened is because I had been under distracting level of mental stress as a result of not getting paid for two weeks since I started with them. I earned it by putting myself in this position.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.