Parking on the On-Off Ramps

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Harley, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Harley

Harley Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Missouri
    I live in Southern Missouri and when Im heading to work at 4:30 in the morning I see truckers parked on the ramps gettn some shut eye for a few hours. Its not a place where traffic gets congested but I was wondering if other states allow this and if there might be a "rule of thumb" about parking on the ramps.
    I dont have a problem with them doing it considering traffic is minimal at best. It seems pretty safe. What can you tell me about this.:biggrin_25518:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've done it when I was in a bind or dead tired. Its illegal to park on the ramps here in Arkansas now.

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    it is illegal in most states I can think of. Wether or not it is inforced is a different story. SOmesteas don't care, other go as far as to put up baricaides to kep people from being able to pull off the ramp.
    I've done it ONCE in a pinch. You see, there just isn't enough parking for trucks at truck stops or rest areas. Trucking has expanded much faster than the infrastructure for it. Sometimes if you don't find a parking spot before 6 or 7 pm you may be driving a LONG time looking for a lace to park. And considering we HAVE to legally stop after 11 hours of driving it often puts us over our limits just looking for a parking spot. You try to plan your route best you can but if when you get to the spot you plaed t park only to find no spots left what are you to do? I've started looking for a place to park at the 10 hour mark and ended up driving another 3 hours before being able to stop

Badmon Thanks this.
  5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    also if you look at the extreamangle the truck is usually at it's kinda like sleeping standing up, or standing on your head

6. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    If you are anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area you'll wake up with a ticket on your window. The good thing is they will not disturb your sleep, but you'll have to pay for it.

I don't think they really mess with you if you are out in the middle of nowhere in California though...

7. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    if you park on a ramp in Georgia, you will get a ticket, and they WILL wake you up (from what I've heard.) I can't figure why a driver would complain though - they have numerous signs on every ramp. most companies forbid parking on the side of the road or on a hiway ramp anyway. I'll admit I've done it on a rare occasion (not in front of a "no parking" sign though.)

8. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It is NEVER safe (at ANY hour) to park on a ramp. MANY TIMES, a drunk or drowsy driver has run into the rear of trucks parked on ramps. In those cases, the surviving family members usually "clean up", thanks to shifty lawyers everywhere.

9. Socy Grad

Socy Grad Medium Load Member

Why do you guys think that it is illegal? You make an excellent point that since you guys are required to stop at certain times, you should be able to. Shouldn't state laws be favorable to this?

addrenjunky Thanks this.
  10. BGatot

BGatot Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Minneapolis MN
    Careless, thoughtless lawmaking and rule-passing, I bet. Making new rules and regulations without thinking how it could be implemented in real life or how it would impact real people. Happens all the time, and all over the world too. Just human nature, I guess. You sociology grad folks oughtta know! :biggrin_2559:

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. ggeo

ggeo Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Harrisburg, Pa
    I see this quite frequently in Pa where I live-never noticed it until getting my A-:biggrin_2554:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.