Part 2 Interviewed Houston Community College CDL School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Sly48, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Part 2 : A continuation of interviewing the 2 colleges in Houston that offer CDL Classes. I will update today's visit to Houston Community College and their Commercial Truck Driving School. Below this review I will copy and paste the other thread regarding Lonestar College so the ones that are interested don't have to flip flop between the two threads/topics.

I arrived at the Houston Community College and entered the building only to stumble across the Lunch/Break Room and decided to strike up conversations with three current students and had a Q&A with them. All three students spoke very highly of the school, the instructors and the equipment used, that was very helpful to me in comparing things. After I spoke with the third student, I ask where the office was located and he showed me and also introduced me to 2 of the instructors along the way, both very nice guys and very knowledgeable.

I arrived that the registration office and spoke with Pamela, a very nice woman with all the information I requested. Below will be the break down of cost, schedule, equipment, etc.

Total out of pocket cost is $3375, includes Tuition, DOT Physical, Drug Test, Text Book, CDL Permit and CDL License. Unlike Lonestar there are no uniforms to purchase or wear and no admin fee.
    They offer full time classes that are M-F from 7:30-3:30 that last 7 weeks and part time weekend classes that last 12 weeks. The the weekend schedule is Thursday Night 6pm-10pm and Sat and Sun from 7am-5:30pm. They start new CDL classes for full time enrollment every 2 weeks and weekend classes start every 12 weeks.

To somewhat compare the 2 different schools, I'll lay out my thoughts : If it matters to you, Houston Community College is PTDI Certified, Lonestar is not, but it is accredited. Houston Community College is a much nicer facility, more and newer trucks and trailers and a much nicer and bigger driving range. Even though I live only 20 minutes from Lonestar and 45 minutes to Houston Community College, I think I will make the extra drive to attend what appears to me to be a better option. The cost of both is very close: Lonestar $3239 and Houston Commuity College $3375. I personally think it's worth the extra $136 and the extra 25 minute drive.

Here's my Lonestar College Thread:

I thought I'd give a short review of one college here in the Houston, Tx area.
    I basically have 2 choices in regards to local colleges here in the Houston area to go to school. Yesterday I drove over to Lonestar College on the northside of town. They are renting a facility close to the college that used to be a High School Bus Transportation Department. They have several companies that will visit during your classes for recruitment purposes. To name a few are, Roehl, Swift, Werner, Schnieder, Waggoner and of course Stevens. Stevens has actually partnered up with Lonestar College and has their own classroom in the building and I listened in on a day one orientation for them. To be honest, I was not too impressed with the instructor after sitting outside the classroomand listening in for about 30 minutes until my meeting with the person from the college.

They do have several options for classes ranging from fulltime M-F from7:30-4:30 to weekend only classes.

Total Cost for the school is $3239. This price includes the following:
    Tuition - $3000
    DOT Physical - $33
    NIDA Drug Test - $33
    Admin Fee - $20
    Bumper to Bumper Text Book - $48
    2 Uniform Shirts - $34 (Not sure why this is required)
    CDL Permit - $11
    CDL License - $60

Requirements before starting classes:
    Copy of Tx Driver's License
    Social Security Card
    High School Diploma or GED

Additional Required Items :
    Appropriate footwear
    Appropriate outwear
    Clean uniform every class meeting (Not sure why this is required)
    Gloves, paper, pencils, pens, pocket calculator
    attendance

Additional cost if you choose:
    Hazmat endorsement $95
    TWIC $132.50

We also discussed Grant money that will pay around $2500 and all you need to have is a Pre-Hire from one of the above companies to qualify. You are not committed to these companies, just need a pre-hire confirmation.

That's all for now, I will be visiting the other College (Houston Community College) today or tomorrow and will give a report on it as well.

Thanks,
    Sly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    PS: I'll copy and paste the Equipment used at Houston Community College. Per the flyer they handed me :The vehicles used in training are comparable to those used in the trucking industry and include: tractors both conventional and cab over, nine, ten and thirteen speed transmissions, set back axles, tandem, single axle and Jiff lock rears axle. Trailers include 45ft, 48ft, 53ft. dry vans, and flat beds, 27ft and 30ft pups and tankers. Students train on both loaded and empty trailers.

4. Adwoa

Adwoa Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks greT info. I am looking at attending one of these two. I thought lonestar was PTDI? A recruiter from usxpressis said it is???? Thanks again

5. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Hi, Adwoa
    No, I was there and ask them and they said no. However, HCC is. It's my opinion that you can't believe everything a Recruiter tells you.

6. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Test Post Number 1

7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    It sounds like you have made a good choice. Congratulations. The one thing you need to know about Houston that they may not teach you is that if your truck breaks down (okay, so I turn right and my wheels ran over a curb and the trailer took out a fire hydrant which in turn tore out my break lines, and then I got out and tried to direct traffic which then caused three cars to pile up) anyway, if your truck breaks down don't wave at the Mexican gang bangers because they might point a Mac 10 at you.

8. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Ha!! Good point, since I live here (North of Houston).....I get it!! haha Thanks!!

9. Sergio126

Sergio126 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Is financial aid available at HCC ? I'm planning on going there I'm 19. Do I need a high school diploma or GED to attend that school? Please reply.. Thanks.

10. AZeeTV

AZeeTV Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Are those the only 2 cdl progams in houston?

11. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    There is San Jacinto College (Pasadena location).

I went through there 20 years ago. I went on the VA program.

It was ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.