Particularly honest and good diesel mechanics?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by makterna, Oct 16, 2021.

1. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    New OTR O/O here.

Knowing how difficult it is to find an honest car mechanic, I would like to find an honest diesel mechanic and stick with him. I am located in Las Vegas but since I will be on the roads I can do my maintenances pretty much anywhere.
    I know everyone think their mechanic is honest enough, but have you encountered a particularly honest mechanic, one that goes above and beyond, one that you are SURE would not try to scr*w a customer even if he got the chance to? If they have competitive prices, even better. Please use this thread to list your GOLD mechanics (and why you know they are so good).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    They’re out there. Just have to find them through word of mouth. Ask other Local O/O. I found some of the best right in my own backyard.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Good luck, all the experienced ones are being forced out. I have a good friend, was a diesel mechanic for 40 years, the dealer he worked for, cut his wages FORCING him to retire, so they could hire a younger mechanic for less. I see these schools are advertising all the time, I think they turn out qualified workers, it's just nobody wants to do that today.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  5. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have yet to find a good mechanic out of a couple years out on the road. But what I did learn is to get in with a local shop and get to know the manager. Create a great working relationship with him so you can get in to a shop and get first priority.

Then when they mess up make sure you talk everything out with him and he can make things right. Also will help get better mechanics working on your truck. It helps to know the people on the top so If they mess up you are not screwed. Have saved me a lot of down time and lots of $$$$.

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If you see a lot of other O/O using a shop chances are it's probably good

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Find the shops that have bullhaulers and log trucks and dump trucks parked out back. Chances are its a pretty good shop.

77fib77, makterna, LoneRanger and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    You won't find them from advertising either the good ones don't have to.

9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    VERY fortunate to have members in this forum that are VERY knowledgeable and a GREAT source of information! If you can and want to do it yourself, these guys will walk, talk you through anything.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

These schools are doing a great job anymore teaching alot of technology that would take a person years to learn. Technology is changing so fast its difficult for self taught mechanics.

However the best student might have the knowledge, but they still lack real world experience. That can not be taught.

Derailed, 201, Goodysnap and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    In my experience, mechanics are like cooks. For some, the same person (or shop) will be the master of trade, for others not much better than a crook. Then the same cook, will prepare a magnificent meal on one occasion, to f.up another one the next time. That's an individual perspective. My own rule is to never recommend a mechanic to anyone because it can only bite you in the butt. You need to find one on your own and that's more often than not by trial and error.

LoneRanger and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.