Partner on 18 wheeler

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Lgaff, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The OM is not pleased.

If your soon to be former friend has a successful business as you perceive, he should not need to borrow money from you. I get it you saw this as an investment opportunity.

Always get any financial agreement in writing. And very detailed at that.

TripleSix, bzinger, Cowboyrich and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    What was the main reason for you guys getting this venture started in the first place? Was it that he needed a new or newer truck and did not have the cash flow or credit to do it on his own? Or was it that he sold you on jumping in with him on the gravy train?
    Either way, I suspect he is seeing that whatever profit the truck is getting, divided by two, is minimal. He is used to getting the full bite out of that apple just for himself.

Lgaff and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  4. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    So, the truck that you helped obtain has been rolling for 2 WHOLE WEEKS, and you're not seeing any money back YET?

Yes, trucking is just like an ATM machine spewing out cash. 2 weeks after that rig started rolling, you should have gotten at least half of your investment back already.

Do you know any U.S. Marshalls? Maybe they can impound the truck for you.

IF he did his shipping paperwork right away and then hand-delivered it to the person responsible for paying the freight, who then said "Why sure, I will whip my checkbook out right now and pay you." Then, the bank doesn't put a hold on the funds until payment clears.

Then from the proceeds ( since your partner is paying all the other freight of owning a truck), he gets paid back for the fuel used, any repairs, the registration and licensing fees, the insurance payments made to get mandatory coverage, new lettering on the doors, maybe a tire or 2 or 4, etc.) whatevers left may or may not be profit. Only the accountant knows that.

What were your expectations? If you thought you had found the newest form of Bitcoin, guess what? Every truck owner in America would be sitting at the beach sipping Margaritas as some dummy drove his truck all over the country instead of working his own butt off for 12-16 hours a day as an Owner-Operator, just hoping he shows a profit this week.

Sounds like you need to talk to your partner face to face (not on a phone, or Facebook, or Twitter, whatever) and get a reality check.

As partners you both need to be on the same page. And THAT should have been done before you wrote a check. Either that or its very possible that your Partner made an error in choosing his partner.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Chill out, if I put up 10k in cash, its not terribly unreasonable to expect some kind of update that didnt involve yelling at me within the first 2 weeks.

Lgaff Thanks this.
  6. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    That's civil, right? what about criminal?

7. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    I saw his bank accounts, he didn't need to borrow money from me. it was definitely not a loan, that was never discussed. Yes, I viewed this as an investment. Passive income.

8. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    no, it was more like I didn't have the credit to do it on my own. I had money, but no CDL & no credit. I didn't want to try Loan Mountain either, because it sounds too scamy.

GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  9. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    No, I'm not delusional, I am not expecting a quick return. I can only assume the worst without any communication, which was great for the last year or so. A drastic change in someone's behavior often indicates a PROBLEM. Problems are to be expected. As long as that is communicated, that is fine. It's the complete lack of communication that leads me to believe the worst.
    If I were to get a call that said "hey, some #### came up, it's gonna be a few weeks till I can get even again." I'd be fine with that. Simple.
    And just an FYI, I work 3 jobs, over 80 hours per week. That was my life savings I gave up, so I'm not some lazy person sipping margaritas on a beach somewhere.

10. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    IMHO...yes...it is unreasonable.

11. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    I am open to other's point of view. Would you please explain why an update is considered unreasonable?
    Consider the fact that my partner & I were speaking every day & agreed that every Friday we would discuss that week's work, costs & profits & Fridays would be payday...

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.