Passed Hazmat, wait until CDL comes with endorsement?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CruzControhl, Sep 9, 2018.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You've obviously never worked retail sales. :)
    I've been asked some fairly dumb questions working both retail and tech support.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You also are supposed to do haz mat training and pass the tests to get your certificates. I don’t think many do but if you ever had an accident it would come up no doubt.

4. OP,

Cool your jets haul other items till your plastic is in hand. Do not listen to a dispatcher. It's your ###

Also you are in an elite group now, after 9/11 it's an entirely new game.

If the present dispatcher or company let's you go. You will have a job quicker than you can think.

CYA it's you who is driving no one else.

Feedman and frizzbees Thank this.
  5. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    A few things...

Your situation may be different, but in Missouri a temporary piece of paper is valid just like a hard copy license. Our DMVs don’t produce the plastic cards on site anymore, you get a piece of paper and wait approximately 10-14 days to get your license in the mail at home. I strongly suggest calling your state licensing office and getting the details on how they do things since every state is different.

As for being pulled into scales more than non-hazmat loads, that’s not the case at all. I believe that Georgia is the only state in the lower 48 that requires all HazMat loads to pull into an open scale regardless of your Pre-Pass indicator.

Once you pick up any HazMat load and have the BOL in hand you need to call your company immediately to have them verify that the paperwork is correct. Even something as simple as a misplaced comma can get you in trouble on a HazMat load. Until you’re more experienced and completely comfortable with how the BOL has to be done, you need to check with your HazMat department on every load. Once you leave the shipper it’s 100% your responsibility, even if it’s someone else’s goof on the BOL.

@peterbilt_2005 is right, you’re in an elite group now hauling HazMat. It’s not just another load, and you have a responsibility to treat the load with the respect it deserves.

6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Here’s a quick BOL example:

UN1219, Isopropanol, 3, II

Isopropanol, UN1219, 3, 2

They say the same thing, right? Nope... the first one is correct, and the second one will get you in more trouble than you want to deal with.

Always call your company to verify the BOL is structured correctly. If they don’t have a HazMat department for you to speak with, you shouldn’t be hauling HazMat for them.

CruzControhl Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive had a perfect record more or less with hazmat I think we only took two of those skull and crossbones. With my luck it was corrosive constantly. The Industry cannot get enough of that acid.

Explosives A is nice, but not as motivating as Radioactive. Something I never had to deal with thank goodness. Keep in mind it's evolved into several classes since my time.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Wait until you get your license updated. When the dot sees placards they see dollar signs.

9. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    in Ohio and Arkansas and i think Arizona too, hazmat loads have to pull off onto the scale regardless of the prepass signal. unless you have a paper "temporary" hazmat endorsement with your CDL number and name associated with it showing that you are endorsed, i wouldn't pull any hazmat, that's like driving while out of hours or out of service, if anything happens and they find out, that's a really bad scenario to find yourself in. not worth it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.