Passed my CDL skills / road test today AND learned something important . . .

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MYSTYKRACER, Dec 5, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    So after three months of CDL class and many more months before that researching and waiting for this day to get here I finally took my skills and road test today and passed. So once I get over to the DMV and pay the fee I'll officially have my CDL-A license.

I also realized something really important today as well and that is this is just the beginning and certainly not the end. Frankly I found the test itself to be nerve wracking. While I turned in a passable performance and returned myself, the tester and the truck to the yard w/ out having an accident or ending up in a ditch it was obvious I need more practice shifting, and lane keeping and watching the mirrors, etc., etc. Frankly I'm not sure I would have passed me and at the end of the test I found myself thinking, "Jeeze, I'm glad I don't have to do that again!"

I know much of this will get better w/ practice and seat time that comes from doing the job but now I'm wondering about the things that I don't know that I don't know? I want to be a good professional truck driver and not just some yahoo that mindlessly drives a truck. So what I'm looking for is wisdom or suggestions from people who have been doing this a little while and can look back and say, "I wish I had known then what I know now when I was starting out in my first year".

Badmon, Coffey, tscottme and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    What's the problem? Full speed ahead. You have one distinct advantage over us old timers, this site. I'd have killed for a site like this years ago. We had to do everything by trial and error. It's just, back then, mistakes weren't so costly. I believe you are over thinking this, it's not flying the space shuttle. Any questions, we're glad to help, common sense is the biggest thing, and it's normal to be apprehensive on a new adventure, but trust me, it's one of the easier jobs in life, you'll be fine.

x1Heavy, Coffey, tscottme and 5 others Thank this.
  4. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Wait till you run your 1st load out on the big road and you're 79,900lbs, not 30k lol.

Oh and whatever company you hire onto, dont wear your stupid ##### reflective vest while getting fuel, in the truck stop or driving down the road. Especially if you're pulling a dry van.

Coffey, 12 ga, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  5. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    LOL! Thanks man, I needed that, and yes this forum has been an invaluable resource!

I guess the biggest thing is I feel like even though we were tout enough to pass the test we didn't get really enough seat time on the road. I just don't like that "fish out of water" feeling but I guess that will diminish over time.

tscottme, jamespmack, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which company will you be with?

7. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    I have applications is w/ Superior Bulk and Tidewater Transit on the tanker side. Talked to the Pasadena,TX TM for Superior and an HR rep for Tidewater and both pretty much said everything looked good on my apps and to get back to them once I finished class and got my license and completion certificate and also the endorsements for tanker and hazmat. Looking at going to test for those next week.

I also applied w/ Freymiller and Crete just as a back up. Talked to recruiters from both who also said to get back to them once I got my license.

Lepton1 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Are you in the Houston area? You can #### near throw a rock and hit a trucking co lol.

I was over there since yesterday and traffic today almost gave me Forrest Whittaker eye.

9. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    Yep, in Houston. I pay a lot more attention these days to the names on the sides of trucks and then I research them later to see who's hiring?

And yeah, I'd never take a local gig here, sitting in Houston traffic all day w/ a big truck seems like a special kind of torture!

tscottme and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Either of those tanker outfits is a winner; congratulations!

11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I'll probably be over there next week again, I'll hit you up if I have some extra time.

Lepton1 and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.