Passed my CDL skills / road test today AND learned something important . . .

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MYSTYKRACER, Dec 5, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ha! That's pretty funny, it's not like they're looking for a Wall Street exec job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Never allow anybody to force you into unsafe situations. Take it slow. Get out and look. Smith system always. Always protect your CDL. Good luck!

tscottme, Lepton1, homeskillet and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Dont let anyone rush you even after 20 years you will have a off day backing up it does matter if it takes a hour it just matters that you dont damage anything and stay calm getting flustered wont help anything also plan your day out before hand have a goal of miles per day to be there early if your on time your late be there a minimum of 15 minutes early and I suggest that your 30 minute break go for a walk and explore a new town a little bit

5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    THIS is why you will succeed. THIS is why you WILL be a professional driver. Because you see this as a profession, not a paycheck, and you know that you don't know everything. God bless you--would that every noob had this perspective!!

Listen to men like @TripleSix , @Ridgeline , @D.Tibbitt and all the other old-timers. Ask questions, learn something new every day if not every hour, and never start thinking there's nothing more you can be taught. Your attitude is the scalpel that separates the Professional Driver from the Steering Wheel Attendant.

Never lose it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    tscottme, kemosabi49, Lepton1 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Best advice i ever got out here was to take ur time. It always came from the old timers mouth as well.. At first i didnt know what they meant about it but when after i ####ed up a few times i realized i couldve handled a situation alot better or put myself in a safer place if i wasnt rushing.

When u get on with a company the dispatch is gonna try to push u and get u running but make sure to think it thru and dont rush cuz it gets u in trouble.

No matter if thats trip planning, backing up, securing freight, dealing with a crazy lot lizard, contemplating eating a roller dog from the pilot at 03:00, etc lol take your time and think it through.

Get out here n come play in the snow lol

, be safe driver and good luck in your career i hope everything works out for you

tscottme, dwells40, austinmike and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Man starting out being a tanker yanker is going to be an experience. Have you driven a loaded tanker without baffles?

201, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Congratulations and welcome to the club.

tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You're already off to a good start!

Go tanker from the start. Seriously. You won't regret it.

I drove dry van for one month, then got a foodgrade tanker job at a little mom & pop outfit. The pay sucked, but the experience was invaluable.

After many times leaving trucking and coming back to it, I'm running foodgrade again and LOVING it!

The day I can't pull a tanker is the day I leave the trucking industry for good.

Good luck and GO TANKER!

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Here’s what you do: drive the truck.

Quit going round and round all the what if’s in your head, just drive the truck. That’s it. Give it the attention it deserves.

Then, when you shut down, then you can start worrying about everything. But when you are on the truck, drive the truck.

11. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Kinda late to the party but I would like to add a congratulations!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.