Passed my CDL skills / road test today AND learned something important . . .

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MYSTYKRACER, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Lol sounds like Schneider

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Just a p.s. update on this, went and paid the fee and got my license officially on Monday Went back and passed all three endorsement tests today ( because apparently you can't do that all on the same day, "the system" needs a day to update your license status ).

29/30 on Hazmat
    19/20 on triples and doubles
    20/20 on tankers

Going to get my fingerprints tomorrow. Went for my TWIC card on Friday last week so I'm hoping I'll get my license w/ all the endorsements and TWIC right about the same time in a few weeks. Now all I have left to do is get my passport renewed which expired in July.

. . . oh, and find a job! :D

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    As an old timer who made the transition to full time trucking late in life I can say that the one thing that helped me the most was practicing the Smith System in my four wheeler. You'd be surprised to find out how much more of the road and it's surroundings you see when you aim high.

Actually, I lied. Now that I've been driving a bit the one thing that has helped me the most has been the ability to call my trainer/ mentor. We still shoot the #### over the phone every week.

jamespmack and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I missed this post but it was a schneider! Took him 5min to get enough balls to pull out into traffic leaving the TA in Baytown.

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    All I got to say is if you keep driving, you will still be learning 40 years from now, or at least I hope you are. lol

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You need to concentrate on perfecting the daily use skills. When you recognize you are seeing sitiuation A, B, and C over & over and there's no obvious one way to handle them 5hen explore them.

Congratulations and for right now don't park at the fuel pumps, back the trailer EVERY chance you get, and make sure you don't hit ANYTHING. You strike me really paying attention and asking the right questions. My theory is don't surprise anyone, don't be lazy, any plan than only works if you hurry up isn't the right plan. Notice the things other lazy/selfish drivers are doing that makes everyone wait on them. Then, don't do those things. You will be fine. The bad drivers never even ask these questions and think WANTING to know the answers is suspicious.

8. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    My first driving job out of school was pulling smooth bore milk tankers...it was a great way to learn to be smooth on the throttle and brakes. Plus with an 18 speed,when splitting gears you had less surge when using the clutch rather than let off the throttle quick to upshift.

Everything was slow an easy, except for the time a car pulled out in front of me....had to steer around him.

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I know you’ve already started your trucking lifestyle so this may not pertain to you anymore but
    One thing I highly recomend to anyone before they drive a particuliar truck for the first time is get a paper pad and a pen and just go out and sit in the truck for a long while. As long as you can. Perferably hooked to the wagon you are gonna pull. Adjust the seat. Study the dash layout. Where all the gauges, switches and controls are. Touch them. Make them work. Get the feel for them. Shifter and Foot peddles too. This is so you can reach out and get what u need without having too look for it and the less u need to take your eyes off the road. Study the mirrors. Objects may appear closer or farther away depending on brand and type of mirrors. Study that. Get an understanding of how much u can really see and what the true distances of sight they give you. It will truely help u when u are backing.
    The pad and pen is for u to write down notes or questions about parts or things about the truck that pop in ur head so you can ask those questions to the owner or the shop manager or trainer or who ever else that knows that truck.
    Happy Truckin’

MYSTYKRACER Thanks this.
  10. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Thanks for the good advice!

Interestingly enough I do something similar whenever I get a new car. I'm own of the few people I know that actually reads through the owners manual. There's usually some hidden pearls in there at least about the accessories.

11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    That is excellent.
    I’ve seen so many times were new guys will just walk out to their truck and just go and than realize down the road they cant find the windshield wiper switch or the headlight switch or anything they may need at the moment. So they are swerving and jerking like a drunk on the road. While they are focusing on finding stuff at the wrong time. Than u see them pulling and tugging at their mirrors the first tight place they get too. Some cant find the fuel tanks or filler caps. Should know these things before u need to. I believe that those little things cause a lot of the accidents that should not even have a chance to happen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.