Passed TMC's 3-week CDL orient, today I head out for OTR training

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Farva, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Here is my daily activity of my time during TMC's 3-week orientation for those trying to obtain their CDL. Today my trainer is picking me up to start my 5-weeks of OTR training. He likes to go home on the weekends, so he'll drop me off at a hotel near his home each weekend since I don't have a home (that nomadic lifestyle) that I need to return to on the weekends. My plan once I am issued my own truck is to not be silly, and just send it. Just keep me out OTR.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Congrats driver. Hopefully you don’t get a trainer that sees you only as a second clock.

4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    My advice:

Ask a ton of questions. Always learn from everyone. If you see your trainer doing something different than a flatbed next to you ask why. There’s endless learning in the flatbed world.

Secondly is to never feel pressured to do something way above what you feel is safe.

5. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Good deal Farva….. This is the perfect time for you to be out with a trainer . Because you have no winter driving experience having the trainer will reduce your exposure to really bad weather. Years ago when I was there I was a trainer who was concerned on teaching the new driver company securement requirements , tarping, and backing into various situations. I was strong on blind side backing because it can be more difficult then the others but may be your only option some times. One thing to keep in mind...things are going to happen faster with two people working then being by your self in your own truck. When you get to shippers watch what other driver are doing getting ready to load or how they are securing the load after being loaded and putting the tarp on. Ask questions to you trainer every day all the time. Think of questions to ask him. When we pulled into the shipper or receiver I would start talking to the new driver telling him everything I learned in the process of loading/ unloading over the years that reduce foot movement around the truck and unnecessary climbing up/down from the truck. As well as labor saving movements and the reasons why. It will sound funny but you can reduce time and excess movement un hooking bungies and straps without having to ben over thousand times. When your at those shippers you will se drivers doing thing you don't want to do , like throwing a 30' strap over a 2' load and have it stretched out 20' from the side of the trailer. Also for future reference take a picture of the load and the securement so when your buy yourself you can fall back on the photos. They used to have a good motel program for new drivers sitting on the weekend because the trainer went home for the weekend. That will allow you time to replace your food stuffs and do your laundry and have some down time which I feel is important. Make sure when he drops you off you have a pickup time set so you don't have him waiting for you to get ready. While you are out TMC will be contacting you and ask how thing are doing . Any issues let them know. As mentioned in another post The trainer job is to train you, not you help him deliver additional loads or run longer loads for more revenue. One last thought for you... Prior to me working at TMC I was in heavy highway construction for 30+ years. I didn't think anything about how I talked to people and how they thought it was too ruff for them but it was construction talk. You are going to be with him for 5 weeks It will blow by fast and look at the end game you seek and focus on that....Now if he is doing you wrong then let them know. Be safe out there and rooting for you.

Shadalee, KNGPIN, SuperRookie and 2 others Thank this.
  6. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I definitely want to hear more about your training. Tmc has such high standards for everything I imagine their trainers have to be tight

Farva Thanks this.
  7. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    After all that post I forgot the main thing...….The truck is the trainers as will yours be. Treat it with respect keeping it clean inside and follow his request as to what he will allow you to do in it.

8. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Guys, I'm absolutely exhausted after my first 4 days and 2k of driving. I've driven in white-out conditions through Minnesota and South Dakota w/ 50mph winds and -60 windchill. Have driven on ice and snow, and then loaded some wire yesterday down in Kentucky and I believe it was 40 degrees. Weather is nuts out there.

@Highway Sailor I'll respond to your post after I get a nap in.

We got in ~2am and actually have a 3-day weekend. He dropped me off at the hotel down the street from his house and has offered to run me to Walmart and a laundromat.

9. trucker cj

trucker cj Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    I know they have bunk heaters how about air conditioning for summer

10. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    TMC trucks do not have APU's, so for you to get A/C during the summer, you'd have to idle. They don't have an idle policy unless outside temps are below 10degrees or above (I'm not sure what their summer high temp to idle is).

If you idle for heat or a/c, it lowers your MPG's. The lower your MPG's, the lower your points, the lower your points, the lower your pay (Potentially).

For me, I'm not sweating in anyone truck with perfectly working A/C, so when summer comes around, I'll be idling if it's hot. It's just that simple for me.

As for bunk heaters, TMC trucks have esper heaters for when it's above 10degrees outside and the truck is off...but ours isn't working but will be fixed during 40kmile service on Tuesday.

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Hows training going for you?

Farva Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.