Passed TMC's 3-week CDL orient, today I head out for OTR training

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Farva, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Automatics.

All of there trucks on order are automatics and they get 6 or 12 each week delivered.

There are PLENTY of older manual trucks that they are keeping in the fleet until their mileage is hit that can be assigned to new drivers.

When they asked me what I wanted, I said Satellite TV as a first priority since I'll be living out of the truck. Then they asked if I wanted Auto or Manual, to which I requested auto OR whichever had the least amount of mileage...so if that was going to be a manual, then I would have gladly taken a manual, but they had a row of brand new 2019's auto's waiting to be assigned and I guess a lot of people still request manuals, so I got the new auto.

It is a lot different to drive than a manual. I definitely in the camp that I had more control of the truck w/ a manual, but time will tell if that changes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlain

jlain Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Thank you yea that seems pretty good that they try and ask you what you prefer. How are you liking the truck so far? I cant wait to get there and start class. Do they pay for the satellite tv then? I would like to get as much practice as I can on a manual truck.

4. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    They ask for your preferences, but I'm learning from my other classmates, that they don't make any guarantees. It's first come first served, and who knows how they ultimately decide to assign what to whom.

I'm really liking my truck, but again...it now only has 2k miles on it. Albeit auto, it handles the mountains well up and down...just the "urge to move" can take some getting used too is all.

No, you pay for the XM radio and SAT TV, but IF you get a truck w/ SAT TV, the weekly subscription fee (should you activate it) will come out of your check, but if you get parked up before 9 pm local time each Sunday for Monday am delivery, they start reducing that weekly as an incentive.

My manual shifting/clutching improved VASTLY over the course of my 3-week orientation and the 96-9800 miles I drove with my driver trainer. Getting down to 3rd (low) from highway speeds to make an off ramp/exit/turn was my biggest hurdle, but I really made some improvements, and to the point where initally I wanted NOTHING to do w/ a manual after 5 weeks OTR training, to being 100% ok with being issued a manual, as my ability to downshift in those conditions really improved after being put through the middle of chicago, st. louis, and Lincoln rush hour traffic.

Midlife Trucker and SuperRookie Thank this.
  5. jlain

jlain Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I can imagine that you loved and hated the manual in the big cities during rush hour lol. Did you get to come home during your time out with the trainer on the weekends? I live right by the steel mills in northwest indiana. I think ill be okay without the tv, i have my laptop and tablet with unlimited data, so I think I will be alright, dont want to pay for more stuff than I dont have too. Was this the first week solo? How was your loads?

6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Pro tip: disable the hill assist while backing for a smoother approach to where you are backing the trailer to. You’ll be able to feather the throttle a lot more and not jerk the truck around.

SuperRookie and Farva Thank this.
  7. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Will try that this morning after unloading, thanks!

8. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    I don't have a home, so I was put up in a decent hotel each weekend near my trainers home. You MAY or MAY NOT get home on the weekend during your 5 weeks of OTR training. They tell you that during orientation. If that is a deal breaker for you, you may want to address that concern now, before you start.

All trucks come w/ a TV and antenna; not all trucks have Satellite TV access/antenna.

I've been using my iPad as a hotspot and just running Amazon Prime to the TV and streaming via my MacBook.

I've only been solo since last Thur, but thus far, all is good. The first load was a 13'6" stack of plastic pipe weight 28k, and my 2nd load is 16 pallets of shingles weighing 47,201, go figure.

My auto DOES NOT LIKE being loaded...while I think OVERALL I will prefer my auto, I DO actually miss the manual (and I thought I would NEVER have that thought cross my mind).

A LOT more control of the truck in a manual, as most people remark (which I didn't know what they meant, until I had driven both).

9. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Forgot to post this up the other day:
    [​IMG]

Imgur

10. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Well, week 1 is in the books and based upon 26% pay scale, I grossed $1825.30

This includes 152 miles of bounce paid @ 40cpm + 1 load w/ lumber tarp pay @ $40

I had 7.6 mpg avg, 3.93% total OOR, and $6633 truck revenue.

Midlife Trucker, McUzi and Muddydog79 Thank this.
  11. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    You were SO RIGHT on disabling the hill assist. I had to reverse up a loading dock into a building yesterday, and it made it buttery smooth.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.