Passing etiquette....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KeithT1967, May 17, 2014.

1. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Had an encounter a couple of days ago that just gets under my skin. Curious what others think.

Rolling up I-44 outside Tulsa in the right lane with the cruise set on 68. On a slight upgrade the truck tailgating me pulls out to pass. He makes it about halfway before losing it. Then sits there. I mean he is barely creeping up.

When he finally gets beside my cab he's flapping his arms and looks like an epileptic flopping around. Thinking im clearly beside a road raging moron I kick the cruise off.

Now I dont want to call a company out that runs reefer out of GA with a civil war soldier on the side of their trailers, but.... its always been my policy that if I dont have the power or speed to get around in a reasonable time I'll back off and suck it up. I know I've never got on the radio and threatened to call someone's company because I didnt have enough truck to pass.

Any comments welcome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Maybe he was frustrated with his equipment/himself and you took the context wrong. It does happen.
    No need to throw another driver under the bus for petty things. Good on you for not calling.

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I am thinking that he was flapping his wings in order to be funny. He was telling you that he was giving it all the power he had. I do not think you needed to do anything. Trucks handle hills differently. I drive the the Louisville to Knoxville run often. Lots of hills. I sent the cruise on 62. If I am going up a hill in the right lane, I might overtake a truck and then have to pass on the left. When we head down the hill, because I am only wanting to run 62 he might come flying by me on the left again. Next up and down hill we repeat this process. Too many variables. How heavy one is determines how fast you can go.

Just be safe and don't try to figure out everyone's thought processes. It was kind of you to back off and let him back into your lane.

gpsman, jbatmick, Shaggy and 3 others Thank this.
  5. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'm certain the driver was pissed I didnt let him pass sooner. I got cussed and threatened for about 5 minutes when I turned up the volume on my radio. Was told I needed to learn to drive. That its my responsibility to back off for a passing truck as well.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    There are many things in this world that made sense at one time that no longer apply. I 44 should have 3 lanes where you are talking about. The idea of backing off is from a different time on different roads. Same thing as using your headlights to tell someone they are clear of you. That was important on two lane highways and still is but on the interstates it is not as big of deal.

The Groom stands on the Right of the bride so his sword hand is free. How many times have you seen a groom actually carry a sword. Drummers are taught to hold the drumsticks in a special way that only makes sense if they are wearing their drum. We do lots of things because of tradition.

Personally, I would just file the event in the "you can't please everyone" file.

7. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Better to back out of it for a few miles and let the over emotional driver go find his next victim...easy peasy.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We don't know another's weight or their available power. All we know is 5 minutes ago we were a half mile behind, now we're right behind you and it's time to pass. And let's be honest, a lot of times blame can be equally distributed in those situations if you looked closely at speed variances that are cause by a host of issues and factors and driving habits.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  9. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had no idea so many people turned the cruise on to pull hills. Are you trying to kill your mpgs?

EZX1100 Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Another real factor to consider is that roads are becoming more and more densely packed EVERY DAY. Hard to believe so many are without jobs yet so many are eating and driving.

Very densely packed roads, filled with 6 times more 65 MPH trucks then there were only 20 years ago on largely the same interstate system, and this is going to happen more often and there's little you can do to stop it. The last thing we need is a lot of min-convoys of 64 MPH trucks struggling to maintain space because it seemed easier NOT to pass then to pass. A lot of truck "packs" is not something we need on today's busy interstates.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  11. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I've been flipped off before over this sort of deal, it's so common I don't even look over at drivers anymore.The world is just to rude anymore.
    Everyone behaves as if it all rotates around them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.