Past Felonys..New Driver..Need Help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by seventhirty, Feb 26, 2017.

1. seventhirty

seventhirty Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    Please can anyone help? I live in Connecticut. I graduated from CDL school a couple months ago. Being a truck driver was something I've wanted to do most of my life. Unfortunately I've hit a major obstacle. My past is not so clean. For a long time I ran the streets and did the wrong thing. Sadly the only thing I have to show for it is Felony convictions on my record. That being said I was incarcerated in 2012. I came home in 2015 and turned my life around. I left my past behind and stayed focused on what was important! The school was telling me (DONT WORRY YOUR PAST IS NOT A PROBLEM)!! Well I've found out that it is a problem!! I've applied to just about every "starter" company out there. And it always falls on my record or how long I've been out of prison. There isn't any major crimes such as murder or anything, but still their crimes I guess. I guess I'll just put it out there in the case someone decides to help. I have past burglary and possession charges.

Hopefully someone can help me. Just looking for a chance to prove myself. DRIVE SAFE

pattyj and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Have you tried to get a Expungement or have the Felonies reduced to a Misdemeanor?

That should be a first step in leaving your past behind

Badmon and seventhirty Thank this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Time is what you need. Alot of places have time periods that have to go by for criminal convictions. Like 3 years or 5 years. The school dosent care if you get hired, theyve done their job. Some small companies may give you a chance. And there are some companies that may hire you but the pay wont be great. Ive got a record 3 pages long but its all 15 years old. Best of Luck -

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some companies that hire felons and ex-cons:
    TransAm - has the nicest trucks on this list.
    Carolina Cargo
    PI&I Motor Express
    USA Truck
    Western Express
    RoadTex
    Paschall Truck Lines
    Carolina Logistics

I recommend you do the online applications before any phone calls. The reason is, it's easy to say "NO" on a phone. When you do call, say "I'm checking on my job application."

Airborne, Shock Therapy and austinmike Thank this.
  6. seventhirty

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    No I have not. I think a certain amount of time has to pass.

Badmon Thanks this.
  7. seventhirty

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    Thank you very much...I put one in to Carolina Cargo on Friday I'll call tomorrow. TA shot me down!

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. A_C_Cooper

A_C_Cooper Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Gilbert, SC
    When I was in driving school one of my instructors said the had had a grad with a similar problem, they called covenant on his behalf and asked if they could hire him as he truly trying to turn his life around. Covenant hired him and last I heard he was still with them.

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah probably Carolina Cargo

Airborne and seventhirty Thank this.
  10. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Kudos for turning your life around and focusing on whats important, I hope all goes well!

11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Call Kassi Fortman with Britton Transport, in Grand Forks, ND. No guarantees, obviously. But be honest. She will listen. We have a couple guys here with a dubious history. Britton takes stuff like that on a case by case basis. She'll be polite and listen, even if she says you can't be hired right now. Its possible living in Connecticut might be a bigger obstacle than your history. And if you do get in, this is a great place to work. Not the typical starter company. We've only got 110 trucks, and 3 trainers total. Drivers here are hired to stay. Not just get started.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.