Patching Tarps, whats the proper way?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Oct 20, 2018.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Had a load of steel tubing and pipe and some other structural steel, put a lumber tarp on front and steel tarp to cover the back.... My lumber tarp got cut on some of the square steel tubing up front just below the flap.. Luckily i caught it in time and patched it with duk tape.. But i want to know what is the proper way to patch it up or if any of u other flatbedders have any tips for keeping tarps from ripping.... I had a couple rubber mats (coil mats) protecting my tarps from the steel but the ####hole roads of california eventually pushed them down and thats how i got a holes now... Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    Cut up an old tarp (or get a small roll of new) and get a can of vinyl cement and go to town.

Orrrrr gorilla tape.....that stuff is amazing. A few weeks ago I ripped a 7 feet high then 3 feet back "idiot hole" in the roll-tite I pull. 2 rolls of that tape with a second set of hands for 30 mins and it got me out of a huge jam. I ran it for 3 days until I could get it fixed properly. I probably could have ran it for another week or two, it was still good!

As for protection.... cheap and easy, cut up an old carpet into whatever size works best. Or moving blankets.

D.Tibbitt and Stinky Dairy Air Thank this.
  4. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'll tag @kylefitzy he is a master tarp patch guy (and he'll know the correct stuff to get at Home Depot). You'll need an old tarp to cut patches from, the correct cement from Home Depot or Lowes and it's actually pretty quick. Patch on the inside and if done with care, you'll barely even see where it was ripped.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You need to buy moving blankets or rolled felt. I carry both. I also went to home depot and picked up 10 pieces of carpet that are 2x3, they were like $2 a piece, I think Walcott and Joplin sells them for like $3 each.

As for patching I bought vinyl cement and a yard of vinyl from the link posted here. It's very easy to patch, do a search on YouTube for a how to video. Tarp Repair Kits | MYTEE Products Inc.

I pad nearly every load, at the very least on the edges and I haven't had to patch a hole for some time. I get the occasional small tear from a bungee hook but that's about it.

D.Tibbitt and whoopNride Thank this.
  6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    I have always used a cloth with acetone on it to clean the area where the patch goes then applied HS66 vinyl cement to both the tarp and patch then used a roller such as:
    Bon Tool 1-3/4 in. Silicone Seam Roller-19-195 - The Home Depot
    to insure complete adhesion.
    always round the corners of the patch you cut to cut down on snagging when you pull the tarps on or off the load.
    my tarp repair toolbox contained a pair of scissors, roller , rags, glue and patch material.

when padding the load i used a 2" strap to insure the pads stayed where I put them.
    I used to cut up oil jugs into triangle corners(2 3"X3" per jug)and use them on sharp corners like plate steel or plywood.

Lost Navigator and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Need to throw a strap over the mats so they won't walk back. Dunnage and straps can lift up the tarp enough to keep away from the sharp stuff also.

I think HH-66 is the best bang for the buck. It will hold well if you clean the area first, it will even work if the tarp and patch is wet.

Keep an eye out for old discarded tarp material to use for patches.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I patched with seam sealer. It’s a fix all adhesive. Sticks to anything. Correct procedure for tarp repair is having patch stitched

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I've used both, hh 66 with patches and gorilla tape. I get a new bottle of alcohol clean rag and clean well and gorilla tape both sides. I throw a canvas tarp on almost everything first so I usually only get bungee holes.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    HH 66 Vinyl Cement. Scissors. Tarp material.

If you’re in a jam — gorilla tape pending how big the hole is.

I prefer to patch on the outside. Sometimes I’ll do it on both sides but I never simply patch the inside... always found it has a tendency to snag on the following loads.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Friend of mine uses duct tape and flex seal spray as an emergency seal on the side of the road. Even applying it in the rain it lasts longer than a traditional patch made from tarp material with that powerful cement *made* for patching.

Lost Navigator and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.