Pay advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nightgunner, Feb 18, 2018.

1. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    If you want to know my opinion it is not a good offer and I can explain why.
    45cpm on W2 is roughly 50cpm on 1099.That's low.Was making that as a rookie 3.5 years ago.
    Miles.2000-2200 a week means a lot of unpaid sitting.(unless ofc you willing to pay for sitting).
    Extra stops. Counted weekly or per trip? Either way $20 is low. Standard is $50 counted per trip.
    Detention you offer is on par with what others pay.
    Basically you need to hope for someone who likes to sit and don't care about money or a rookie.
    Summary. It isn't that bad but it's below standard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I'm in agreement with the post about making your drivers feel valued. Prior to driving I worked at a somewhat low wage job because we felt appreciated. Once the appreciation started waning, guys started complaining about the low pay, when we were told " tough ####!" Guys started quitting in droves. We lost 8 guys in 1 week. We only had 45 state wide

4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    No horse to beat. I just do not meet your criteria to work for you. Because I do not believe my performance deserves eld, just because of a ridiculous mandate. Even you can't say you agree with the mandate.

5. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    On a 2100 mile week (Monday through Friday) with an average of $100 detention, a new driver will gross just over $1k. Is there better to be had? Sure, but you have to understand something about me. In the 15 years I've been doing this I have learned to always estimate low. If someone goes in expecting to do 2100 miles a week and pulls off 2700 I'm sure they won't complain about more money than they anticipated. The inverse however if you're told you're going to be 3000 Miles and you do 2300 what do you think the problems going to be?
    Everyone on here complains their promise all these big miles and never delivers. I'm telling people out front yes there are going to be short weeks, you may only go 2200 miles in a week. Or you may hit 2800. I refuse to be part of the problem and promise somebody something that will not always be delivered.
    I understand that's a concept A lot of people can't grasp. And that's okay.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not. This are the current rules of the business and it has to be dealt with. Limitations have been placed upon the market and I have to work within those rules. My opinion about it is completely irrelevant.

jraulpilot1998 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  7. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I understand that NG.I am just voicing my opinion. Obviously every driver is different and hiring areas differ too. To me it wouldn't be worth spending 5 days in a truck to make measly $1000 W2 /$1200 1099.You are in IA so it's probably different. I genuinely hope you will find better drivers than the last 2 you had.Good luck!

nightgunner Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I appreciate you taking a position and defending same.

I have learned to advocate a salary so that the miles don't matter provided the driver does a good work week to week. A few miles here this week, a little more next week and so on. As long the revenue is more than the weekly payroll, it's a win win situation.

To me miles pay is a form of contention, and Salary offers the opportunity to just focus on actual trucking and not waste emotion and hot air on short miles ...

If Salary is not your cup of tea, maybe 30% of revenue from that truck flat. SO that if the driver does a good job, he sees a good check If the driver is late and you are charged fees for that split with driver. That should sort of poke him really well not to be late.

I am not trying to tell you how to run a company. I feel that .45 to .50 is good decent starting wages and top hands should make a bit more.

9. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The previous drivers hired were paid on percentage. At the time, I was paying 25% of what the truck made. On average, this worked out to roughly 63 to 68 cents per mile on loaded miles. The higher pay honestly had no impact on out of the longevity or the quality of work performed. That was an average gross pay of $1,700 per week to the driver. In the end I still had people who could not understand how hours of service worked, failed to properly maintain the equipment, and forced me to fly to Pennsylvania to recover a load.
    I have no problem paying a higher pay scale, but it must be earned. No more giveaways.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    25% is very good.

When I was paid percentage back in the 80's a good week showed our Reefer making a touch over 2000 dollars in the north east in LTL delivering. I made about 500 take home roughly. Which is not that bad for that time period. A cause for celebrating too. Daddy (My dispatcher he was my first "Trucker Daddy" in his 70's I don't expect today's young ones to understand. Maybe I'll explain that someday...)

Now with the figures you provided on 25% and the resulting payroll to those drivers. I say that 30% is too much.

I hope you saw where I was coming from thinking 30% would be a nice rate. But I forgot that rates have increased quite a bit since my time.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    @nightgunner

Hi nightgunner,

How are you?

Would you perhaps consider going to a truck driving school, hire a beginner with no experience whatsoever, possibly starting the brand new driver out at 26 cents a mile, while training the new driver to work the way you would like to have things done?

After 90 days, evaluate the new driver. If the new driver is doing well, perhaps increase his or her pay to 32 cents a mile.

After 6 months, evaluate the driver. If the new driver is still doing well, perhaps increase his or her pay to 38 cents a mile.

The only thing here is to be sure that the new driver has some decent health, dental, and vision insurance, to compensate for the lower mileage pay.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

MYPY Transportation Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.