pay and other things

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Wvuguy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Wvuguy

Wvuguy Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2013
    hey everyone
    just wondering if you could give me some insight on fedex pay.. looking at road driver or city as both are open..this is in the west and im trying decide on old d or fedex..jumping the walmart sinking ship

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Can't answer your ?..but what do you mean" wal-mart sinking ship"? Thought they were the best.

4. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    As new road driver for Fedex Freight expect many hours working the dock. Pay around 21 / hr first year or mileage on whatever short trips you get. Very little overtime regardless if city or road.

Wvuguy Thanks this.
  5. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Depends on where you work. You mentioned west and I am in the east but ive been at FXF for eight months and I'm grossing 1200 a week easily. Many factors and variables but that's been my average.

And yes, lots of dock time but that is hourly work ans my starting rate is 22 per hour. Half an hour of pay for each hook and each drop, plus mileage. My starting mileage pay was .54 cents.

My bid is the lowest on our road board (I'm driver 27 out of 27 lol). Its 91 miles to the hub, usually 4-5 hours on dock, and 91 miles back. So on an average night its this:
    Mileage: 182=98 bucks
    Dock pay: 88 to 110 bucks(4-5 hours)
    2 hooks: 22 bucks
    2 drops: 22 bucks

I know it only adds up around 1150 but its normally closer to 5 hours on the dock, so it pulls it up to 1200.

And here's the gravy: 5 nights on my regular bid is 1200 bucks AND its only 9 to 10 hour nights. Comijg from my,last company where I worked 60 hours a week to make 1100 a week...you get my drift.

One of my co workers is at top rate(im on a 3 yr progression) and he makes close to 90k a year after being here 5 yrs. Our senior guys on the best bids easily make over 100k.

The pay is worth putting in time on the dock. Its 95% forklift work. You think a company the size of FXF unloads #### by hand? You might have to rebuild a pallet or two that falls over but suck it up and consider it exercise. Ive never been restacking anything without another dock hand pitching in to help.

Of course everyone will have different experiences depending on where they work and whatnot but my experience has been super positive so far and its only getting better. Ive already gotten a raise, we're getting another in April and my,first progression bump is in July. Life is goos

6. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Would they train you if you have no forklift experience? Former pencil pusher here

7. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    For sure. Forklift is pretty easy to pick up. I started with minimal lift experience and they made sure I was good to go.

8. nash6289

nash6289 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Virginia
    Hey man thanks for giving us an insight on how things are at FXF. I was highly interested in working for Fedex as a road driver but instead I ended up over at Pitt Ohio. I started working here as a part time city driver in January this year. Around March FXF called me for a city driver position and at the same time my manager offered me a line haul position here. I took that line haul position quickly lol. Things have been going great. My experience has been similar to yours as far as having to work the dock and getting shorter runs, etc. I’m at the bottom of board myself. Pay seems to be exactly the same as FXF, only difference is we run single trailers here so it’s $10 for a drop and hook. At my terminal we pretty much run wv, pa, va, md, etc. It’s a solid company man. Everyone that works here is very happy. I think majority of these LTL companies pretty much offer the same pay. Every ltl company has a guy at the top making six figures, some companies pay more but you get less hours and some pay less but you get more hours. I guess it all depends on if you like the company and the ppl you’re around everyday. Other than that we all are making good money. I love to run the road and I wanted a job where I can be home everyday, off on the weekends and make good money. So if that sounds like something anyone is looking for, LTL is where it’s at!

TruckerEdGee61 Thanks this.
  9. doireann

doireann Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Good to know. I am starting on monday as a driver apprentice with midnight hours. I am in north east Pa and so far everything that fedex has said, has been true.

Hopefully its the last time I start a new job.

10. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    So, in another 2 weeks it will be my first 12 months at FXF so I thought I'd do a little bit of an update. First things first I guess and that's the money. Looks like it's gonna fall right in at 63500 for the first year. When I started I wanted to make at least 55k first year out because that was what I made a year at my previous company, so nailed that. I've now got 2 road drivers below me in senority and soon to be a few more if they ever get anyone to apply for the jobs. And my first pay bump is coming up to coincide with the first year: it's 1.55 more an hour and a few cents per mile.
    As a quick side note, FXF is hiring at a LOT of their locations! Everything from dockworkers to driver apprentices and city and road positions. It is well worth it people! The location I work at is currently down three, count them THREE, road driver spots. We're still on a 3 year to top pay rate progression but like I said, my first year at the beginner pay rate (22.58 an hour, .54 cents per mile), I made 63.5k.
    Anyway, so here's another huge benefit, at least to me personally. The dock work is physically active but it's worth it. Get out of the truck and move around a little and I've lost a fair amount of weight and feel better as well. I remember my time as an OTR driver and hearing about how brutal the dock is at LTL companies and at least here at FXF it just isn't! We've got people with bad backs and knees and whatnot doing this stuff. It's at least 75% forklift stuff. The only thing is handling the decking beams and panels but that's easy enough. The sweat in the summer is worth the extra money to me. Keep in mind that the full pay rates are 28.83 an hour and .67 cents per mile. Our guys could work 45 hours a week at top rate and still make 75k pretty easily.
    Yes, it's still a trucking company so there's always some nonsense to deal with but it's not as bad here as at a lot of places. All in all it's been a great year and I just wanted to throw that out there. Also, if anyone is interested, do yourselves a favor and look at the open jobs on the website and fill out the app. Then CALL the terminal manager! These people are stupid busy and it always helps to make the phone call and introduce yourself. Just might make your app go to the top of the heap. Hiring decisions are largely made at the local level at FXF, so when you speak with the terminal manager you will be speaking with the person that will be interviewing and hiring you. Individual mileage may vary and experiences will vary depending on locations but my first year here has been very good and I feel like it's worth the chance for everyone else to give it a shot. Good luck!

11. Macawdad

Macawdad Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Thank you so much for this post. I just filled out an application with them yesterday. Kinda nervous about making a career change but I read only awesome things about FXF. I applied for the driver apprentice position here locally at the Schaumburg Illinois terminal. It will be interesting to see what happens. Thanks again- Andrew

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.