Pay by percentage/ pick my own freight ??

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by MileMaker719, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MileMaker719

MileMaker719 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    So I hear everyone telling me to only go to a lease company if they allow you to pick your own freight (not off “their” load board Schneider/land star) but actually be able to pick off the open spot maker boards . And also that they should pay me by percentage . My question is where are these companies that do this !? I live in Colorado but I am wanting to be otr or regional depending on what lanes are in my area so it shouldn’t really matter where the company is run out of but I would really like to know what companies offer this type of lease purchase program where I can pick my own freight and they pay by percentage?? Any help should be greatly appreciated!! Last but least a little info about me I have 6 months experience otr as a company driver and realize I may need to get to one year before they will accept me on a lease but I would like to start preparing for this now so I’m ready when the time comes in 6 months .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    You will need one year regardless... and there are no big companies that pick from from the DAT board or any other load board.. companies like Landstar, Mercer, JB hunt, USA Truck, Great Wide... they all have their own board that you run off of... most of them require 1 year experience before you can become an O/O or Lease Purchase...
    If you have the money you could buy a truck and find a local small company that runs the DAT board, but that would be the only way... Just bide your time, I know it's hard as I was there once too.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  4. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah I here you it is hard but I am prepared to wait until my year mark I just want to start doing my research now . And as far as picking off the open boards unless these guys are all lying to me they all claim there’s companies that are allowing to pick own freight off of all the boards ?? In the even this just isn’t true any advice on what company I should go with if I have to pick off of thier boards ? I need to make about 4K a week after deductions to make this work for me and my family I have heard Schneider is the best because of the clock and go system and no dealing with brokers plus they allow you to get trucks directly threw them with no credit (mine is around 610 right now ) I’ll probably have around 3k to 5k to put towards the truck at the time I have my year of experience..but with that being said any advice on what company to go with for the beginning going into lease opp?? (One last thing my end goal is to get my own authority one day but I have been told to get my feet wet and learn the business by starting with a lease under a company and then do that for one year and then go out on my own and try and play with the big boys haha ?? Is this the best way to do this and if so where should I start )??

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    That's simply not true about DAT.

OP, DAT is a broad board for all major brokers, getting on individual company load boards takes tremendous time. DAT allows you to locate which ones navigate to if they're in your customer base... Or they can be added easily.

being handicapped to one companies load board is setting yourself up for failure... At the bare minimum it's putting on blinders not even looking at other rates.

I could go into more detail but i don't think it's needed.

6. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    So what are some companies that I can lease with that will allow me to pick off the dat,123... and other load boards ??

7. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    With 6 months experience?? Probably none of them...I do not know of any big companies that will give you a login and password for the DAT under their authority.... now as the other guy stated they do run the DAT but whether or not they will give you a login is a different story

MileMaker719 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I would actually recommend the smartest business move is getting your authority and make all the major players your customer.

Otherwise, the motor carrier is going to make a pretty good percentage off of your load planning simply because you don't want to do as much paperwork.

Start saving now and learning what's needed to be a MC first.

Filling is the easy part, the money upfront is what stops most .

.. I would recommend to work on that path as you gain experience..

6 months and still ambitious is good, keep plugging away!.... Long road ahead

MileMaker719 Thanks this.
  9. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    If you wanna run the DAT your gonna have to get your own authority or find a very small company that uses DAT and lease to them. Do you have any friends that have their own authority??

MileMaker719 Thanks this.
  10. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Right I’m aware I’m going to have to get a year in before I actually start applying but just trying to start planning and preparing no is all ..

11. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah my end goal is to definitely get my own authority but I’ve been told that with one year or less of experience that I wouldn’t be able to find insurance for one and also it would be much harder to finance a truck . As well as the cost of filling and getting everything set up . So I’ve been told that I should start by doing a lease purchase and learning how to run my own business and then once I’ve done that and have some more time under my belt then try to go out on my own ?? Do you think I should skip this step all together then ? And if so how much money (ball park) will I need to have to get a truck and file and everything else that comes along with it ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.