Pay by percentage/ pick my own freight ??

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by MileMaker719, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MileMaker719

MileMaker719 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Also I’ve been told that getting a old truck with terrible fuel mileage you end up paying just as much of not more then a newer or leased truck ? Especially trucks with high miles that need allot of maintenance and repairs along the way ? I understand even a new truck breaks but I’m just saying this all went into the thought process for leasing vs going straight to buying ? But as I stated earlier im all ears if there’s a better way ? Do you mind me asking how you did it I’m assuming your an owner operator??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I understand your thinking. Remember those deals where they say "good credit bad credit no credit you are financed!!!" What it really means is they will charge everyone like 20%, and are content with having to track down the asset and take it back. People with poor credit have poor credit for a reason. What you want to do is get yourself good credit over time, then search out the lenders who offer better rates to lower risk (high credit) customers. If you are thinking of building credit by borrowing money to show you can make payments that does work, but you don't need to finance a transport truck to do it. Google "how to improve my credit score" or "how to get a 900 credit score" and start reading.

Old trucks new trucks the fuel mileage isn't that big of a factor. For a quick example. My old freightliner classic 2000, does same work I do now it got in the mid 6 mpg. New 2016 389 gets high 5's. Do some quick math: cost of fuel per gallon ÷ mpg = cost per mile. Do different scenarios at 5,6,7,8 mpg, consider the differences, then think how much monthly payment a new truck will be. The old truck will need some repairs but the new one could also. This is the gamble part, where everyone asks what make and model and year is the magic bullet. There is no magic bullet.

MileMaker719 Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There are companies out there with assigned units. I would look there if you are having issues of other drivers trashing the truck while you are away. @Chinatown is the resident expert around here when it comes to recommending companies based on where you live. There may be some higher paying company driver positions in your area you don't even know about. Would you still want your own truck if someone paid you 85k to drive theirs?

5. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    So essentially if I’m hearing you right your saying stay a company driver until i have the money and credit to get my own truck and the. Worry about getting out there on my own ?? Which is going to take closer to 5 years then 6 months :( lol also I didn’t plan on using the truck to improve my credit no in fact allot of these leases they don’t impact your credit only if you break it but not if you stay up with it I believe? I plan on paying off debt and using other means to improve the credit

6. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Honestly yes because I have always wanted to own my own business but I would be 100000% more willing to be patient and save up over the next couple of years and do it without rushing for sure lol

7. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Also yeah if @Chinatown wouldnt mind helping me find a better job where I could be otr and make decent money for a solid company and have my own issued truck that no one else would be in but me !! Maybe even a apu and a inverter so I don’t have to freeze any more too haha yeah I’m definitely open to that so I can really get my financial situation in order along the way ..

8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes exactly save money and be in a strong cash position before you buy anything. If you buy a truck and need a transmission the 2nd month in that will set you back about $10k by the time you are towing a few nights in a hotel and the repair. That's where if you don't have the cash or a credit card with a high limit to bridge the gap at least temporarily you are done like dinner. Only now you still have a truck note to pay for. End result usually bankruptcy or give truck back to lender, lost whatever you put into it + destroyed whatever credit you have. That's the risk if starting with little money and little access to money. It happens all the time. Plenty of people go out and buy a truck then get on here and ask how to make money with it. You're ahead of all of them by asking lots of questions first.

Is there a way to reduce the money needed to run your house in order to save more of what you currently earn? Either that or figure a way to earn more just don't go spending it all as you earn more. Another thing to think about is if you are unable to save at least some money for retirement now then you will be forced to work until you die. The sooner you start the easier it is when you get old. Your body won't last forever. That's just something to put on the back burner..... it's not to say don't spend anything on fun stuff but even $50 a week you put into an account and invest it and forget about it can grow into a useful amount over time. The key function being time. Another good read is Google or YouTube "compound interest".

9. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah I’m able to save money with what I make now 900$-1200$ a week it’s just slow going as my bills come out to around 2500$ a month on average as well as food gas and fun things lol what’s that ? I have 3 kids that’s all the fun I can afford haha jk but no I hear you and I think your right I need to just find a better company driver position right now until I can get my credit right save some cash and obtain larger line of credit . I agree with you 100% . Now I gotta start a new thread about company jobs in Colorado for 4K a week with apu inverter and no slip seating now !! Haha I leave to Texas tonight so I’m going to get some rest but I appreciate all the help and look forward to picking up with this later on today have a good one friend and thanks for all the info !

10. SwishDawg

SwishDawg Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    That's easy. No company will lease a truck to you and allow you to do that. People keep saying simply buy your own truck, well there is more to it than that. Don't just save a downpayment and run off under your own authority. Be sure you have at minimum tire money saved. If you blow all your savings to get a truck and then blow a tire then you would be screwd . And with 1 year , your insurance on your own would be astronomical . Your best bet is get some experience . And if your in a desperate hurry . My advice is get an oil field job. They pay best so you can save your nickels and dimes much faster doing a job like that. And most are so desperate for drivers they might take you at a year.

11. MileMaker719

Mar 10, 2018
    Colorado Springs
    I actually just found a company that lets you do that u pick your own loads of dat or 123 ect.. and it’s a 90/10percentage .. they will also dispatch you for 80/20

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.