Pay packages for short miles

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Peyton2Marvin, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Peyton2Marvin

Peyton2Marvin Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Hello everyone and as always thank you to all who participate and share opinions.

As I am in process of setting of up my business I do have a bit of an issue with driver pay.

I have several customers who pay me now as a broker (current profession) 1400 dollars for 300 mile run.

Obviously that’s not bad Money for me but if I want to run this lane with a driver 4-5 week and pay driver per mile he or she obviously would not make enough.

Any suggestions? Maybe a percentage pay? Some sort of split?

Or am I screwed and no one would be willing to do this. Dry van is the freight

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Some places pay by the trip, others by the hour.
    If it’s the same run all the time and not too much for delays, a flat rate per trip would be okay.

4. Peyton2Marvin

Peyton2Marvin Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Even if driver lives in Florida and needs to get home. The freight for this lane is Oh to Pa

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Percentage has always worked for me.

I've broken everything down into segments. I know what most of my rates will be for the lanes I run. I do both long and short miles. If done correctly,.. everything should work out and everyone stays happy.

I've learned to stop chasing miles and CPM. Now everything I do is based on time and percentages.

For me,.. a 200mi trip is the same as a 400 mi trip. Its still a day to get everything done. Wont get reloaded till the next day. So the rate is the same for 200mi,.. as I would charge for 400mi.

I've had brokers scoff at me and proclaim well its a light load,. short miles. I politely close the conversation. But in my head I am saying,.. :Then find someone else! Time = money. "

Hurst

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I wou ld let that driver and find someone who lives near the shipper. One quick ad on Craigslist advertising that lane and the hometime and you'd have the spot filled.

My small comoany is based in North Salt Lake and we have been breaking into the Texas market and our biggest problem, by far, is using drivers in a very specific freight lane down there, but the guys live all over the place, utah, georgia, Idaho, ect. So when one wants home time, he is essentially put of that freight lane for around 3 weeks. 1 week or so to get him home, then hos time off, then another week to route him back down to texas. That's 3 weeks our truck isn't servicing the customers that we're working so hard to build.

Peyton2Marvin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.