Paying $80,000-90,000 for a 2016 semi truck with 800,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by scoobertdoo, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I actually think this will all continue to go up. Say I took a brand new KW truck, owner op spec. Then I took a brand new top of the line reefer with the best unit and owner op specs. Let’s say these cost 155k and 80k. That’s $235,000

Now, let’s theoretically take these and multiply by 1.5 so 150% of base cost. Aka 50% inflation. So, now our sale price is at $352,500 for said truck and trailer.

Holy smokes! $117,500 profit and never turned a mile! Wait a minute....

If a good year was 250k gross and now solos are turning 400k or higher gross... your telling me that profit can be 150k higher in just one year if sustained rates?

So, buyer thinks... man... I’ll run even harder, and rates will continue at least that long. Holy crap maybe I’ll team with my buddy, well cut a hole in the floor and just poop right out the bottom, truck never even needs to stop! “Heck yeah, $352,500 is totally doable! Practically a #### bargain.”

So, I think we are now already approaching this level or higher with the used market. The only reason you aren’t seeing it on the new market is because there literally is no new equipment. For example though on the other side of the coin... if I had a brand new truck and trailer, would I sell it for 352,500 or would I not? At what point does my loss of potential gains become less then my selling profit potential? I don’t think we’re there yet. Still some upward pressure. Maybe even another 50% for a full 100% inflation in transportation equipment sector.

I could add some variables and potential things that can happen but we’ll keep it to this for now. If this doesn’t make sense, no worries. My mind runs wild at 2:30 am. LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Muddydog79, snowwy, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Muddydog79, JoeyJunk and Grumppy Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh, that's easy, there's money to be made in others failure, and someone wanting a new truck today, has "F'me" signs all over them. The lending institution is merely making that nightmare come true and rarely lose. Like others say, you can ask whatever you want, maybe you'll hook a sucker. Never used to be that way, my 1st truck, a '82 Western Star, I paid $22 grand in 1988, from an O/O who just rebuilt the motor. He was really a nice guy and wanted me to get a good truck,,,and it was. Fast forward today, some, big companies mostly, have no choice but to buy new trucks, and the cost is secondary. It's why our strawberries cost $7.50 a box now,,,and so on.

6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Carriers that have an established book of business to support, that will cover even today's inflated prices, and an even older more worn out truck that needs scrapped not repaired.

Being honest, every trade I've done until these new trucks was because my old one had some failure that was going to cost way more than the truck was worth. It made more sense to replace than repair.

Even with the new trucks it was sort of that way, the old ones just hadn't completely crapped out yet. They ones sold were priced appropriately, and the new owner will get to make that CAT platinum decision soon, instead of me.

haycarter Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I think I could have gotten more for my Casper, but the guy's a nice guy, and he had the cash.

I think you'll find all these guys paying stupid amounts are both new, and coin poor. On top of the overpriced truck, they probably pay an inflated interest rate.

8. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I need these prices to maintenance for another 2 months as my truck will be ready to sell here soon!

Rideandrepair and feldsforever Thank this.
  9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching

I tried appealing to @TB John
    But he said I just don't meet their rigid standards. :(

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Oh No.. would you like me to write a letter of reference for you ?

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If someone is selling a current truck at these inflated prices to buy a truck at these inflated prices then the spread between the two will be roughly the same as it would be back before prices went crazy, so they’re not financing any more or less, really.

12. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    , Since all applications go across Inga's desk, perhaps a donation for her trip to Sweden next year might be in order.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.