Paying company insurance deductable

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 10speed4me, Jan 18, 2018.

1. 10speed4me

10speed4me Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Is this a trend (working for company as driver not o/o) to have to pay up to deductible for damage to truck or damage to property. I understand a situation where you were obviously negligent but for any instance. this is up to $2500. complimented with a urinalysis wait time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i have never, and will NOT EVER pay for the insurance deductible on a vehicle i do not own.

did the employer say that you will have to pay "up to" that amount if you do have a wreck/incident that IS your fault?

or are they getting this money upfront from everyone?

what if one quits, does he get all that money back, plus the interest it'll garner while sitting in thier savings account?

i'd walk away, something smells fishy in Denmark

TripleSix and 10speed4me Thank this.
  4. 10speed4me

Dec 31, 2017
    It did seem excessive. I will likely be picking up and delivering to construction sites so with that in mind those places are an accident waiting to happen imho. Have had minor bumps and grinds through the years but never excessive. No accidents and clean cdl should say enough.
    it was an agreement you had to sign off on, in case of an incident. Then wait until your urinalysis comes back. lol

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i should point out, that even if one DOES PAY the deductible for anything being his/her fault, that simply is NO guarantee, they will not be fired. was it mentioned that a driver gets to keep his/her job?

and even thought DAC is worthless these days, the company can still ding one's employment record.

i'd rather be fired upfront, then to have them take my money, think things over, THEN fire me.

10speed4me Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok, so you get a nail or a piece of rebar jammed into one of your tires, then you get a blow out, you gotta pay for a tire too..???

BS. i'd never work a job like that. sounds like it happens so often, they are passing the costs onto the drivers.

bottomdumpin and 10speed4me Thank this.
  7. 10speed4me

Dec 31, 2017
    thinking your right

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Thinking this company may be a fly by night steal by day from the driver place.

not4hire, 10speed4me and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, it seems to be a trend among scumbag companies and owners to off-load business liabilities onto employees.

Google, as an example on the other hand, has perks like; free gourmet cafeterias, massage rooms, nap pods, haircuts and onsite doctors available for employee checkups (free of charge), among other things. It's a trend too.

And the trucking industry wonders why it is getting harder to attract quality employees.

ETA: Although OTR trucking has had "nap pods" for far longer. o_O

10speed4me Thanks this.
  10. 10speed4me

Dec 31, 2017
    It seems that companies are saying one thing and doing another collectively. In the past you could weed out the bad ones. Now they are all the same #####'s. The more I see the "were in it to support you" the less of it there is.

11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Our company had a policy of the driver paying up to $350 for damage done to the truck for "at fault" incidents that were of the stupidity type. Regular accident's which resulted in damage to the truck/trailer did not fall into this category. it was not listed in the driver's manual as "paying part of the deductible".

10speed4me Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.