Paying for Orientation at company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by pagan22, Nov 24, 2010.

1. pagan22

pagan22 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    I may or may not be going with CRST. I haven't had much luck with other companies.

However, I need to pay them back for the bus ticket, the physical, the drug screen, and the hotel stay during orientation. I also have to pay for both breakfast and dinner while attending orientation.

After I am hired and am earning money, they will take about $40-50 each week out of my check to pay back those costs.

Is that normal when you have to take a bus to attend orientation with a company?

I'm unemployed now, so I'll have to take out a loan to afford the meals during the first couple weeks while I'm getting acclimated to life on the road. I just would like to know if it's worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Normal if it is a jacked up outfit. Not worth it if you have to pay to go to work.

4. pagan22

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    Okay.

I didn't know if that was industry standard or not. Thanks for the feedback.

Generally, would I need to pay back ANY legitimate company for orientation expenses? (I do realize I will have to purchase some meals on my own.)

5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Tough call if you're having a tough time finding other suiters. Don't be too surprised if they ask you to bend over and grab your ankles.

6. pagan22

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    Apparently, I live out of the hiring range of most companies. I live in Michigan, but a lot of them won't hire above I-94 so that limits me quite a bit.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Your welcome! I have been to a few companies that did not pay anything. Never would I go to someplace that expected me to pay for anything. The best orientation I ever did was maverick. Class act orientation. They pay you. Pay for your training. Provide food and shelter and pay a sign on bonus. No monies owed. Some places advance a person money. Then take it back. That is not a job. That is a Indian giver.:biggrin_25513:

pagan22 Thanks this.
  8. pagan22

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    I've heard good things about Maverick. Unfortunately, they don't hire north of I-94.

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Those cost are normally absorbed by the company. Even when a driver doesn't make it, they usually get a free ticket home. Ever since I went to an orientation at a company across from CRST and seen their operation, I never liked them. Talking about a feed lot!

10. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    No freakin way. If that is how they are setting it up, keep looking. Possible to move below I94? May have to think about it to get a job. Gotta go where the money is these days.

11. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    I've been to orerintation at 4 co and NEVER had to pay any of them! Most paid me to attend, if possible move on and find some place else. Try Crete I keep hearing there adds on XM171 and they pay .4? cpm good luck

pagan22 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.