Paying taxes to multiple states

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by slow.rider, Apr 17, 2021.

1. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    tell him to look up the definition of 'Interstate Commerce'; he slept through that class.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    We pay in NJ/PA/NE/CA and WI(based in)

4. KristenSilva

KristenSilva Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2022
    Taxes are necessary so the state can realize social goals, which are the goal of all democratic societies. It is about citizens quality of life, health, education level, and the nation's welfare. This is why the state often requests EDITED TO REMOVE LINK to monitor the system. If it is difficult to always carry these receipts, you can use online systems where everything is stored digitally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2022
    Reason for edit: Removed link to business site
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    As a company driver, I had to pay NM state income tax despite the fact that I was a resident of Texas because I worked out of a terminal in New Mexico. It really irritated me but it wasn't enough money to justify hiring a lawyer to fight it.

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    @RockinChair
    What trucking company were you working for? Also, where in New Mexico is the terminal located?

Was the state of New Mexico mandating that state income taxes were to be deducted from your paycheck, or was the trucking company doing this on their own, perhaps covering their own tails?

Either way, file for a refund during income tax season, since you are not a resident of New Mexico, unless you have already done so.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

The absolute sheer driving force of our national economy - without truck drivers, our entire national economy would come to an absolute standstill - if not outright be dead.
    [​IMG]
    Over the mountains, through the woods, into the valleys, coast to coast, from sea to shining sea - truck drivers can and do go anywhere and everywhere, every day, every night, all year round.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    you do need a lawyer.
    .you file you NM tax "exempt out of state resident". You'll get a 100% refund.

I use to live in Vancouver, WA. (none income tax start) but worked on Portland, OR. (income tax start). Employer took OR tax out all year, at the end of the year I got it all back

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Thank you!

I wish I had known this at the time, but several tax years have passed since then.

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    check because you can file an amended tax return.. just don't know how far back you can go...
    Also the state refund has to be added to your federal

10. digitalscotch

digitalscotch Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2023
    If you run under your own authority, you may have nexus in other states and create a tax liability depending on the individual state requirements.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.