Peak Final Charge coolant, red vs orange?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RunningAces, Apr 23, 2024.

1. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I was changing my coolant reservoir today and had picked up a few bottles of Peak Final Charge which is the common brand you see in a black bottle with a truck on the front. I've purchases it in the past and it has always been red. When I went to pour the new bottles I got they were a neon orange color though. I've always heard mixing coolant colors was a bad idea so am not sure why the difference and if it's OK to use it? Google didn't help much just reinforced mixing coolant colors was a bad idea.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just best to not mix coolants, some are "longer life" than others, some have to be flushed after xxxx amount of miles, some have different chemicals than others.

i'd flush it all out, and use proper coolant.

for instance, on all my Toyota cars..??

i buy my coolant at the dealership. actually same price as "generic" coolant at NAPA, AutoZone, Walmart, but Toyota specific from the dealership.

when i had my chevy, and ford trucks..??

i bought the correct coolant.

4. RunningAces

Jul 2, 2017
    True, it's just that the stuff I've been buying for years now. Same bottle, same label, same bottle cap color, is now a different color. It's available in nearly all the truck stops too, just don't know why it would be an orange color instead of red and if that's just the new normal.

5. RunningAces

Jul 2, 2017
    I called the manufacturer and they said it was fine to use because it was just a little different mix or sometimes it's at the end of a run it might have an orange color to it.

olddog_newtricks and Hammer166 Thank this.
  6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The last couple jugs I bought weren't neon orange, but they were definitely different than the old ruby red. It was enough different I stopped as soon as I saw it and reread the back of the jug to make sure I had the right stuff.

7. RunningAces

Jul 2, 2017
    Even though the manufacturer said it would be OK I took the jugs I had back to Walmart and picked some of the same stuff from NAPA and it was the correct color. I couldn't bring myself to pour something that seemed abnormal in any way into my coolant reservoir.

buddyd157 and KDHCryo Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My understanding is that different colors are different applications.

I'd have to confirm but I think both my chevys are orange. Orange is probably for cars. Red is for semis. The cap is supposed to be colored accordingly.

Gone are the days of green fits all.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Dex-cool is what General Motors uses. It's orange. I remember a Thermoking I was pulling for many years also used dex-cool. I always used red in my trucks. And never, ever mixed different colors, bad things can happen.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Colour doesn't really mean much anymore. Its the coolant's composition you need to look at and the OEM spec that it meets. A lot of HD diesels are using OAT coolant now because of the higher heat with the emission's systems. OAT is not compatible with standard long life coolant even though they might be the same colour.

Just recently I had to change out a water pump on my pickup. Ford's new coolant is yellow, the stuff in my truck is red. The new stuff can be mixed in just fine according to Ford as its the same coolant, just a new supplier.

buddyd157, Feedman and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    Final Charge is nitrate free…….Dexcool is not. Some engine manufacturers specifically recommend using nitrate free……..

buddyd157 and Feedman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.