Pedestrian Bridge Collapse Miami Florida Int'l University

Discussion in 'Other News' started by STexan, Mar 15, 2018.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    This is what it was to have looked like when complete. The collapsed section spanned from the abutment on the left to the pier to the right. The column for the support cables was yet to be constructed, as well as the second span from the pier to the abutment on the right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yeah. They'll probably do it different next time. :biggrin_25523:

4. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I would say there isn't anything obvious about it at all. The most credible theory at this point seems to be some type of equipment or material failure. I doubt there is anything inherently wrong with the design, but they will certainly want to review the procedures that led to them doing certain work with the road open and/or without any temporary supports in place.

Apparently the construction crew was post-tensioning the members for the anchor point nearest the pier (to the left in the video below), which is a perfectly normal operation. Supposedly something broke (not known at present if post-tension member, crane cable or something else) causing a resultant overloading of the structure. You can see in the video the collapse originates in the area where the crew is working.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Video explanation (CAUTION: a little bit of salty language).

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Maybe I should have said "their design/construction concept needed more work". I stand by my statement. They should not design a bridge that requires a lot more work while in a "weak state" to complete the project and final strengthening of the span.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Maybe the trucks hauling the beams to the job site drove faster than normal because of elogs and stress cracked them, thus elogs caused the bridge to collapse.

8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    What ever construction company that was working on the bridge is toast.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There's other parties to blame too. Some with school and/or government connections as well as the school itself. But I suspect the bottom line is the construction contractor [and worker(s)] made a critical mistake. But they will claim they should not have been in that position to begin with due to faulty engineering and requested construction methods by the engineers, school, and various government entities.

It's the school 's baby and pressure for expediency in construction. Make them 75% liable for all future judgements. And the USDOT (or whoever sponsored and funded this project) and the sub contractor who was on site at the failure can split the other 25%

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  11. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    RocketScott Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.