Per diem will i owe taxes?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Travelworld2067, Jul 15, 2018.

1. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Loan calculations made on taxable income.
    Per diem is non taxable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I used to be a loan officer and my daughter is an underwriter … per diem is counted as income.

Ryan423 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    Yes because I understand how per diem screws the employee.

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  5. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    From 08 to 10 it was no longer used in income calculations.
    Some may have started to allow it again after the crash.

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Depends on the bank and the loan officer .

What the loan officer is lookung at is gross and adjusted gross income . Depending on how they want to read it per diem taken through the company looks like reimbursement for expenses - not income. Not an insurmountable problem, but it will be part of the conversation.

Travelworld2067 and driverdriver Thank this.
  7. Travelworld2067

Travelworld2067 Light Load Member

May 10, 2018
    Well lucky for me i could careless about mortgages. I never plan on buying a home. I see it stupid unless paying it upfront. 30 year loan on a 150k house at end you actually spent 260k no thanks. And my credit is good for other loans anyway.

8. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    It was always used … My daughter been in the biz for 20 years. Extra documentation is and was required to support the per diem income. What changed in 08/10 was the elimination of stated income/stated asset loans. Prior to that if, you had the FICO score you qualified based on nothing more than what you claimed as your income, as long as it within the range for your profession.

The other is it does require the loan officer and underwriter to know what they are doing. In every industry, but transportation, per diem is a one off benefit and not a regular part of income. So a lazy loan officer's default is to say no. A good one knows that per diem is a standard and stable part of income for transportation workers and with proper documentation qualifies as income.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    I agree , I paid cash for my property but wanted to upgrade after the sale just needed a little more to go along with what I had saved.
    But again they would not allow my per diem to be used in the loan calculations.
    Sad part is I would of been able to pay off that little mortgage in less than two yrs.

10. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    Your wrong it was stopped during the crash three different institutions told me no more , didn't even matter that I was concidered 'A' paper.
    In addition to that I also remember that rental income was no longer being allowed in either.

11. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    So you're were dealing with sub par institutions … and let me add one more time I was in the industry. My daughter is and has been in the industry since 1998.

The other is it does require the loan officer and underwriter to know what they are doing. In every industry, but transportation, per diem is a one off benefit and not a regular part of income. So a lazy loan officer's default is to say no. A good one knows that per diem is a standard and stable part of income for transportation workers and with proper documentation qualifies as income.

Travelworld2067 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.