Per diem

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by pilot trucker, Apr 5, 2023.

1. pilot trucker

pilot trucker Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ada MI
    My cpa says if i'm not working I can't get per diem is that correct? If it isn't correct how can I prove them wrong

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Trucking per diem is only for whole days you spend away from home, backed by some evidence (logbook)

So yeah, your cpa is correct.

UNLESS you are CURRENTLY not working, but last year you were otr for a period.

One other thing though, its ONLY for owner operators, not company drivers. (If a company driver, theres a way it still works, but its through your company and on them to have it set up, plus it is simply already in your paycheck instead of claiming it at end of year)

4. pilot trucker

pilot trucker Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ada MI
    I am owner operator. She says if I don't work can't get per diem I am otr

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You’re talking about the meal allowance, not per diem. And if you’re at home and not on the road you can’t claim the federal meal allowance. However many days you were gone from home overnight is how many days you can claim the meal allowance for. If you’re local and home daily you won’t be able to claim anything.

6. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Unless the wording has been changed in the regulations, the M&IE can be utilized by anyone who’s job is regulated by Federal ‘Hours of Service’. I claimed that for years when driving LTL, no matter if I was home after every shift, or not. Even when I drove local, with a 6am start and no set quit time, I claimed it for years. Read the rules very, very carefully.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.