Percentage/Commission Pay Question

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by amscontr, Nov 23, 2012.

1. amscontr

amscontr Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Illinois
    Do people in sales or other commission type of payroll in other industries get to see what they are getting a percentage of the gross pay?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    If you're leased onto a carrier and are being paid a percentage of linehaul, you have a legal right to see the original freight bills at the primary terminal of your carrier. If you're being paid mileage, you're out of luck.

376.12(g):

(g) Copies of freight bill or other form of freight documentation. When a lessor's revenue is based on a percentage of the gross revenue for a shipment, the lease must specify that the authorized carrier will give the lessor, before or at the time of settlement, a copy of the rated freight bill or a computer-generated document containing the same information, or, in the case of contract carriers, any other form of documentation actually used for a shipment containing the same information that would appear on a rated freight bill. When a computer-generated document is provided, the lease will permit lessor to view, during normal business hours, a copy of any actual document underlying the computer-generated document. Regardless of the method of compensation, the lease must permit lessor to examine copies of the carrier's tariff or, in the case of contract carriers, other documents from which rates and charges are computed, provided that where rates and charges are computed from a contract of a contract carrier, only those portions of the contract containing the same information that would appear on a rated freight bill need be disclosed. The authorized carrier may delete the names of shippers and consignees shown on the freight bill or other form of documentation.

4. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    no law however the states attorney general have gone after a few. like pulley transport, perkel, .silvey ref., midwest dist but they had some other issues also. all were suppose to refund the drivers as far as i know drivers ever got there money. its just a bad way for a company driver to get paid. im not picking on o/o but that could b the worst way for a company to get payed an o/o with 2 or 3 trucks. jon

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Percentage is only a bad way for a company driver to get paid if it is a bad company. My company has more than several drivers getting percentage that have been with them well over 20+ years.

amscontr Thanks this.
  6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    my experience has been the complete opposite

when you get mileage pay, you MUST run 3000mi per week (just a figure)
    but when you get percentage pay, you can make that same money driving 2500 or less

not always

but anything beats having to run X amount of miles EVERY WEEK

(my experience may differ from yours)

Hardlyevr Thanks this.
  7. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    if you are getting paid mileage, why do you need to see the rate sheet in the first place?

8. amscontr

amscontr Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Illinois
    I'd just like to see the breakdown of the rate that I'm getting a % of, after FSC of course.

9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas

No Snowwy, no federal law but various state laws cover this where the carrier bases his operation. It's a losing battle for the employee though, you'll be fired for stirring the pot. Best thing a driver can do is move on. This causes the carrier pain in retention and recruiting.

Unfortunately carrier mgmt is very stupid. Driver after driver will turnover and all they do is increase recruiting efforts rather than fix / recognize the problem. Yep, lets just add a few more managers, that will fix it.

And you're right, my former dispatchers had access to my pay structure and used this info to push their bonuses. Always saw a newbie on the more lucrative runs especially when they were on the flat salary coming out of the hole.

Almost forgot: Federal minimum wage laws apply here too. Not that it's a big deal but they do. ( To employees )

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    when i first came back out here. i was running 3500 miles +. including a lot of dh head miles. then they changed the pay to mileage. and the newer guys were making just as much as me. driving less miles. most of the guys can't handle 2500 miles.

then i changed to mileage. my dh went down and my pay went up. still running 3500 + miles. and if i was lucky, i actually got paid for tarping also. never got that on the percent pay.

11. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    nope company driver 38 of us here and been here 4 months, never once have i heard someone complain about pay

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.