Percentage pay, how to know if they are cheating you?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Loudstacks, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    Looking into a few tanker outfits that pay %

I'm used to cpm

Now if they don't provide a rate card with that settlement (assuming as a company driver, a carrier doesn't provide this?) How do you know you're not being cheated if you're trusting their being transparent on the actual loads pay?

What's a good % to stay above

NightWind Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    If they guarantee that you get a certain percent of 100%, and they have an open door policy you should be good. Definitely look at three or four drivers average pay and see if it works out for you. Talk to a few of the drivers make sure they're comfortable with what they're getting paid and that they feel like the company is being honest. If they can't be open and honest about any of these things I would move on. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

unloader and Loudstacks Thank this.
  4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Most of the time you don't know!!.. "If" other drives want to show you their pay you can gauge by that however sometimes No One wants to show someone their personal pay and are not obligated too what do you do then? (%) Percentqge pay is a 'Hit' or 'Miss' situation especially without a rate con. At least with a definite set cpm rate you can at least gauge & calculate your set generated earnings. I feel in difficult times (%) pay works for the companies in order of making an edge on their short fall by not showing a driver the rate con. Kind of a way to scheme the driver when the want to save and benefit in downtimes like now in the industry.

H827OUT and Loudstacks Thank this.
  5. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    I get shorter on "routed miles" with cpm af a reefer+dry otr outfit, they have us do fuel solutions to optimize fuel cost savings which id assume is the largest overhead expense so it makes sense for a business but not for drivers not getting the total routed miles to get to that fuel solution outside their pu/delivery points! I had to call them out recently on a 100 mile fuel solution stating you need to route me these miles but nornally it's about from 6 (petty) to 100+ miles not routed (paid for to the driver)... on average roughly 30 to 60 miles now times that by over 5k trucks and u got yourself a nice juicu golden chicken diner! Thnx for the responses!

6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York State
    You don't know really. How hard is it in this day and age of computers to change or doctor up a rate con before passing it along to a driver ?

I'd stay above 25% if the rates are decent. Again, do you ever really know the real rate ?

Diesel Dave and Loudstacks Thank this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    In my field (LTL Flatbed) my BOLs are also the bill the customer gets so this isn't really an issue. How many layers do you have to go through to get the actual price they pay? Percentage can be nice, but when larger customers get deals for bulk orders you eat it.

8. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Really easy to photoshop a rate con to show lower rate to driver than actual rate.

This happened to me at multiple carriers.

Another thing carriers could do is open up a brokerage and broker their loads to themselves or find other backdoor ways to steal from drivers.

Being all this I've experienced at multiple carriers it's most definitely a common thing out there.

There is nothing more shady than the trucking industry.

olddog_newtricks and Loudstacks Thank this.
  9. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I’ll gladly show any of my guys the invoice the customer received if they have questions about whether what they got paid is correct.

From what I’ve seen % typically works out in the driver’s favor vs. mileage. There are definitely times mileage would have paid better, but when everything is said and done at the end of the year, % comes out on top. Obviously this depends greatly on the rates the company is charging and what the pay is per mile.

10. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    % of a load just adds confusion to everything, I agree with you.

I like Schneider's all-in-rate load board idea. "We need a tractor to move this from here to there, this is what we are paying. You are responsible for fuel, tolls, everything, this is what we pay." 'Course Schneider is a carrier and broker, and their rates are lowest tier, but they always have work.

11. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’ve worked on % for 6 years. It’s not IF they’re cheating you, it’s how much? Now I will say mine has been in the end dump industry, and not tanker so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about and I’m just cynical. But in my experience, theres too many ways to hide, skim, and shave numbers when it’s not a cut and dry issue. Mileage pay you can see what you ran, hourly pay you see yours hours and can compare those to your pay respectively. @Tall Mike is absolutely correct, they can show you what it pays all day.. but is that REALLY what it pays? If your checks are what you can live with and are happy with, that’s about all you can ask for.

Loudstacks and Tall Mike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.