Percentage Pay Info / Waste Refuse Hauling

Discussion in 'Storage Trailer' started by PortlandDriver, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004

yep, i figure the money if not highly paid, is at least constant as garbage needs to be taken away. sorta like the funeral home business. everybody dies, so a need is there to take take care of business. pretty consitant life cycle. live, create garbage, die.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Officially, I can't comment on the trash hauling deals, because I have no experience with it, and one of my policies on here is that if I don't know about a subject, I keep my big mouth shut. But a few observations on that based on what I have seen, amd maybe a few conclusions I am jumping to might fit in.

I see plenty of trash haulers, and have occasionally talked to a few. They seeem to do okay, and their equipment, while often not clean, seems to be mechanically sound, indicating they aren't running on the financial edge. I have seen some trucks running off the east coast cities, and some of them are very nicely maintained truck, so there must be some money in it, and yes, it has to be steady work. And steady work, with a consistent mileage and income has its own virtues. Most of the trucks I see are using tipper type trailer, vice walking floors, so they unhook and the trailer is dumped on a hydraulic platform each time.

I would assume, that a trailer with a walking floor pays a somewhat better rate, since the driver has more responsibilities unloading it, and the truck requires some special equipment to operate the trailer.

Waste hauling seems to be very regionalized, and I suspect that the pay may vary from area to area, though I have no firm knowledge to base that on. Finding the right region, in an area where the roads and routes are decent and traffic reeasonable, and it's probaly not too bad of a deal. Do it in an area with high traffic and poor hauling conditions, and I suspect that it goes downhill very fast. On the east coast it is probably much more unionized, and depending on how you feel about unions, that may or may not be a good deal. It can be tough enough to make a living with your own truck, and it's even harder if you have to pay off Six Finger Louie each week.

If I lived in an urbanized area with a strong desire to take it's trash elsewhere, I'd probably look into it carefully and see if there are enough advantages to make it work. I have 3 and a half specific rules I always follow on trucking work, and if it fit into them, then it would be worth doing. If it doesn't fit my rules, then no form of trucking is going to work for me. My (somewhat uninformed) 02..

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004

cool, i just "thought" about the trash hauling scenario when you "mentioned" walking floors.

in this area (east coast) the trash business is unionized work, but also independants as well, which pay "union wages/benefits". i have "seen" trucks from Jersey, go down to Maryland/Delaware/Virgina areas. i always thought that strange, garbage from NJ going to Virginia...

anyhow, thanks for your thoughts on trash hauling, i'm not "into it" myself, however...........i can''t stand the smell, or the "leakage" from the trailers...........YUCK..........!!!!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.