Performance Food Group

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Amaterasu, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2018
    hey guys i cant find much info on Performance Food Group out of Dover Florida which is 15 min from me..i know its food service i have about 8 months experience and i dont mind the labor as long as im compensated pretty well for it... does anyone have any info on this company...i know a manager was telling me that pay was between $1200-$1900 and that some guys average over 100k but im not sure how true that is honestly ...would prefer to hear from other drivers... thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    100k is possible in food service but you will be bumping your 70 and working 14 everyday...it will get old real quick working 14 every single day in food service

Farva, TruckRunner and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  4. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Ya that's the general consensus on food service. Don't they work overnights as well?

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Certain accounts do. I had the HoneyBaked Hams, Macaroni Grill (Brinkers) and CentralPark Hamburger accounts at night when they were closed. Had keys and everything. The Central Park joints were 2 story and the storage areas were up stairs, so the soft drink syrup boxes were heavy going up. Every other stop, it was down the ramp and into the cooler or dry storage...just roll it in and leave a copy of the bills and lock the doors. Wasn't as tough as doing a beer route and paid 4X the money. I made $1200/week after tax. Its work, but what's so bad about that?

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm sure most places are set up like the place that I used to work at where the drivers have seniority and they bid on the routes.

$100,000 is possible. But I'm going to take a guess and say that there's a range that the drivers make say $60,000 to $100,000+.

The routes that you would have as a new driver would not pay the big money routes that the seniority drivers have. If you're lucky sometimes you'll be able to pick those routes up when those drivers go on vacation or take a day off. But any route that you are not familiar with, is going to take you longer than the regular driver that does it.

I can't tell you how long it would take you to get to where you can make the big money route, but I would guess 10 years or so before you really have the seniority to bid on the high money routes.

It's not that you can't make money, but a more realistic number for the next say several years, would be 70 to 80,000 or so.

I do not know the company PFG, but you should look into their stability and look into the stocks if they're a traded company. If you are looking to were the long-term of making money make sure they are a stable company because you are working towards seniority for your future and your money making potential. You could go anywhere and build seniority. Choose Wisely.

Also realize that the stuff can be really heavy depending on what you are delivering. One of the places we used to deliver to is Burger King. Imagine giant boxes of frozen Whoppers stacked on top of another on a hand truck. I can't tell you how much it actually weighed, but there had to be at least several hundred pounds on that hand truck every time you ran down that ramp and ran in to the store. That and all the other stuff was so heavy that those hand trucks actually had brakes on them and you had to test them before you left to make sure they worked. There was an alarming number of guys with on-the-job injuries. Some companies use a liftgate and a pallet that you break down which is easier.

Another thing is that senior drivers may have nice places in nice neighborhoods that they deliver to. As the new driver you would get more of the basement deliveries and that type of thing and you may even get the bad neighborhoods. You haven't lived until you unload a food service truck in Compton at 2:30 in the morning. I can only say what the hell was I thinking? Actually, I was just trying to work. I kind of just took it as part of the job.

I don't mean to be negative in what I'm saying, I just would like you to understand at least my perspective of the job that I had.

If you can be a really good worker and pick up loads that other people leave stranded or they're stuck and they Need You because the other guys are being irresponsible or whatever it is, that's your opportunity to get ahead. The dispatchers like guys like that. They'll throw you whatever bones they can.

At least that's how it was where I worked.

Good luck.

Space Truckin Thanks this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    100k your for year is hard to do and like others said you do have to build seniority. But seniority ladder at Foodservice vs other non physical jobs you move up faster in Foodservice a lot of drivers quit. Plus there is a learning curve your first year. Between my Foodservice job and LTL job which I worked most of the year Foodservice I made 70k. This year we had a lot of drivers quit or get fired and my average being on extraboard is over 90k right now. Might drop into the 80k range. Grossing between 1400-2000 a week. Just depends on the week. But it might slow a little or not. Just depends on your area.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. Drpparker95

Drpparker95 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Anyone know how long sysco and performance food service take to get back in touch with someone. I applied to us foods, mclane, pfg, and sysco all on the same day last week. Ive heard from mclane and us foods but nothing from pfg or sysco

9. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    The more I keep reading these foodservice and LTL threads, the more it seems that getting fired is about as easy as stepping on old gum. I imagine those split-days off are a pretty easy way to weed out a bunch of people.
    Forget that you have only one day off, but take two off like you normally did at your old job and then get canned immediately for a no-call/no-show.

10. BlackGuy C

BlackGuy C Bobtail Member

May 10, 2018
    Them camera s in the truck got me at Sysco...

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  11. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Try a dropping fuel at a station in Compton, with a crack head trying to
    light up, good times. Lol

Space Truckin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.