Performing Effective Trip Inspections

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SafetyOfficer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. SafetyOfficer

SafetyOfficer Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2019
    All of this could also definitely be me just being picky and expecting more from our employees. I really think they do a great job as is and I just want to be able to reward them for their efforts!

tscottme and stayinback Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    yeah , Im going to do you a huge solid.............

No Matter how good of employees you have-You can have that "ace" of character , Good Men that care with families living the typical lifetime plan...But When it comes down to Brass Tacks AND LISTEN TO ME CLOSELY- The playing field will never (it seems) be level.

Inspections by outside agencies (State/federal) will ALWAYS find something needing repair-Always- New or old equipment doesn't matter-Their Jobs are to Make Money and Try to keep equipment safe.

I don't want you to be too hard on your drivers because its not always their faults mostly.

The Whole CVSA/csa2010 -inspections is an illusion for safety- Its truly about generating state and federal revenue.

adayrider, tscottme and SafetyOfficer Thank this.
  4. SafetyOfficer

Jun 19, 2019
    Cheers stayinback, you've been eye-opening. This is exactly why I came to the experienced drivers thread for this. I'm not in the position of creating extra stress on our drivers, I want to help them as much as possible and I'm seeing now that this may not be the best way to do it!

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm not helping get another driver in trouble because he didn't lay in the mud, or much much worse, while tracing the wire harness under the whatchmacallit. Have you ever been in the truck parking area at a truckstop? Does your boss try to sabotage your job?

truckdriver31 and SafetyOfficer Thank this.
  6. SafetyOfficer

Jun 19, 2019
    Absolutely not! Like I had stated previously in reply to stayinback - After discussion I do realize that this may not be the best route to improve our trip inspection quality as it puts much stress on the drivers. I'm not in the business of setting up our employees for failure!

Just looking for some advice from some experienced folks!

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Go to the source of the problem

Have your mechanics do the pretrip.

I doubt they find all your flags.

8. SafetyOfficer

Jun 19, 2019
    That may be the problem - the company does not have onsite mechanics! We are currently outsourcing all repair work we require.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Here's how most reputable carriers do things SafetyOfficer- Equipment ,Trucks and trailers are gone over thoroughly by that carriers shop/maintenance dept probably once a month (Tires/brakes shocks/suspension/steering etc etc.......Typically, A Driver does not know enough to make decisions on replacement items and determine longevity. THEY ARE'NT MECHANICS....

Give your Drivers a fair shake- They're going to do their pre-trips and post trips like its been done the last 40 years- A Walk around-Looking at obvious things- And thats it.

I Know it Hurts to get those violations- You can't put too much on your drivers backs- They're human beings ......the CSA makes reality seem impossible.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  10. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Outside mechanic will only fix what's written up, they're very rarely proactive.

Unless it's a good upcharge item.

JoeyJunk, magoo68 and SafetyOfficer Thank this.
  11. SafetyOfficer

Jun 19, 2019
    You're absolutely right - and I'm now wondering if we need to begin looking into hiring an on-site mechanic to resolve this issue as we are currently outsourcing our maintenance!

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.