Person in area messing internet/telephone connections with CB. How can I find them?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by asd123, Mar 15, 2013.

1. ham radio operator

ham radio operator Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Hi I am the ham radio operator. comcast refuses to fix their problem. however they did fix the internet problem recently. but not the phone. it only takes about 1 watt to knock out the outgoing phone audio. I have showed the so called technicians this with a hand held radio doing it they dont have a clue and dont want to work with me I actually showed them where the problem was about 6 houses away they spend more time finding out what im doing than find there leaking line. or bad amplifier. my equipment is not the problem comcast is the problem there uplink for v.o.i.p. is on the 10 meter ham band and when they have a leak guess what I can here it in my receiver and my transmit power gets into the leak I have also saw other ham radio operators my friends as far as 2 miles away from the leak that is close to my house knock out the phone here like I said it only takes about 1 watt from my station and I have a license to run 1500 watts!! I am fed up with comcast myself and sorry for the problems but I did every thing possible including locating the location of ingress. they spent 3 months finding me and not find there leaking lines what morons. very good comcast you found me now fix the problem. believe me I want out of the contract with them and that wont do anything for the hundreds of customers its happening to because the leak is down the road. I will check back later 73's

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    cowboy_tech and IDIeselman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cowboy_tech

cowboy_tech Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Avondale, CO
    That's interesting

sent from my EVO4gLTE
    OCed and MEANbean

4. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    I smell a troll

Mad Dog 20/20 Thanks this.
  5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    yes, perhaps a troll

But I call BS. Direct connect Ethernet cannot be disrupted easily, if at all, by an RF signal in the 27MHz band. It's the cable company.

When the link goes down, look your computer interface's DHCP assigned IP address. I'll bet you that it's 0.0.0.0

I've had this problem before with substandard cable providers, and nobody's given me an answer as to why. When it happens, change your computer's MAC address (virtual MAC address function) by a few digits and then reconnect. That should fix it for a while.

6. ham radio operator

Mar 15, 2013
    may sound like bs but it is very real what is going on here in Antioch il. now I reread the complaint post it may not be here but I have the same exact problem with comcast and my ham radio on 10 meter 28mhz I have worked with comcast more than I have to by law per fcc license internet is ok now have ran 1500 watts looking at the speakeasy speed test all ok now used to slow the speed down so slow it would make the modem reset on its own

7. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

The tech is blowing smoke. They know exactly what the problem is, and it's not the radio operator. Comcast is playing the blame game (yet again), rather than fixing the problem (which is on their end). I can assure you that there is no way that Comcast is "trying to get the FCC involved".

Cable systems send data (which includes phone) using the DOCSIS standard; the upstream (customer to headend) is sent in the 5-50 MHz band. Of course, CB is right in the middle of that.

It doesn't take a whole lot of RF to disrupt the QAM signal that the cable modems use, and when a disruption occurs, the entire segment has to resynchronize. This is why a transmitter a few miles away can knock out your phone/internet service.

Cable systems are licensed to operate as closed systems; that is, no signals leaking in or out. The fact that the signal is getting into their system is evidence that their system has a leak. 47 CFR §76.605(a)(1) gives the maximum leakage allowed. If CB is getting into their system, then they have a rather large leak somewhere.

Quite some time ago, we had a problem with the cable company interfering with the hams on 2 meters (145 MHz). Hams did a lot of the legwork, finding bad amps, illegal cable taps, and such, but the cable operator wouldn't do anything. So, one of the hams (who is a licensed pilot) reported to the FCC that he had had interference on the aviation frequencies when flying overhead. The cable operator basically told the FCC that nothing was wrong, and the report was a lie. FCC sent a tech out to check, found interference, and told cable op to fix. Op insisted he was legal. FCC pulled the power to the headend and chained the doors, and told him he was out of business until he fixed EVERY issue the hams had found (over a hundred).

Funny how that system was cleaned up within a week...

8. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

Jamie's example shows how much legwork can sometimes be necessary to get the FCC involved with interference that isn't affecting public safety or other essential services, like aircraft in flight.
    Several years ago I had a similar problem with a cable TV operator (before they started offering Internet services). One of their channels was just about on a ham repeater freq on 2 Meters, and I was apparently the only ham close enough to their leaky line amp to be affected, so they disavowed any responsibility for fixing it.
    A couple of weeks later, however, I called their engineering dept (small town in Alaska, everyone knew everyone else) to tell them I was going to be upping my power output from 10 watts to over 400 watts, and I was concerned that their apparent faulty gear might allow my lawful transmissions to interfere with *their* customers.

They were new in town, and very eager not to lose any subscribers. There was a bucket truck down the block that day, and their local engineering supervisor introduced himself and thanked me for the info. Turned out he was a fellow Extra Class ham, and said that day was the first he'd heard of the problem. I invited him in, showed him my station, and he made his first-ever moonbounce contact from my gear.

Our club got a new member and a faster way to get problems fixed. I understand this is not the norm in most places, but he did allow that they were more concerned with ingress to their system than occasional problems to hobbyists -- at least in most of their regional systems.

diddly dahdidah
    dit dit

PS Plz excuse typos until my new keyboard arrives from Amazon

9. ham radio operator

Mar 15, 2013
    comcast finally fixed the problem Friday. about time only took 3.5 months. saturday yesterday they called me saying they need to come in my house to check the lines they are getting a lot of complaints I said you fixed it and he said they were in your house I said no the problem was 6 houses away they have no clue what the hell the other employees are fixing in there computer system. so everything is good now.wonder how many customers they lost for not fixing the problem promptly . they are lucky I didn't get the F.C.C. involved they would of had a very big fine to pay .asd123 are you in Antioch IL?. just wandering if this is the same comcast problem. also this problem has been here for a long time I just moved here found out from other ham radio operators in the area comcast knocked on there door saying they are interfering funny how comcast can drive around with a spectrum analyzer and find the radio operator but took over 2 years to fix this problem/leak that I bought a house close to that only took 1 watt to take out the entire subdivisions phone / internet. now I can run 1500 watts no problem. like it should be there system should be closed not picking up R.F. from my antenna

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. Galaxy Sun

Galaxy Sun Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2018
    I pretty sure my neighbor is using some sort of RF sending it into my apartment. Why? What do they gain? I swear sometimes I can see wavey lines in the air and my head will hurt way bad.

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Take off your tin foil hat it will help.
    It might even help you see that nobody's been on this thread I 5 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.