Personal Conveyance quiestion.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SafetyUS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    I have a question, can i use PC if I still have driving hours available? For example, i did my delivery and then i decided to go to truck stop, but to keep my SB hour safe i would use PC. Is that legal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, going from the last deliver to a truckstop isn't legal, out of hours or not.
    What is legal is if there is no parking allowed at the delivery, you can go to the closest safe location. That may or may not be a truckstop.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah you can use PC even if you have legal hours to drive. Don't overthink it. PC to the closest truckstop. Everyone loves to split hairs on the internet but reality is most shippers and receivers either dont have space for you or don't want you parking there anyway. And parking on the side of the street or some similar you risk a parking ticket. Reality is the closest legal, safe parking is, typically, at a truckstop.

tscottme and lual Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Under the old HOS you didn't have to log multiple in-town stops. If they were in the same city you could log the first stop in the city and the last and show on-duty, not driving in-between. IIRC

wis bang, drh72 and buzzarddriver Thank this.
  6. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    One of your drivers did this and you want the members of this forum to prove him innocent or guilty of a violation?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    Yes, cuz i heard that its illegal to use PC if you have driving hours to drive, even if its for personal use.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  8. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Is your question "does PC interrupt your sleeper berth time?"
    Your question is confusing.

9. SafetyUS

SafetyUS Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2023
    Not sleeper, but driving time.
    My driver get pulled over for an inspection, and we got a violation, because in the past he use PC with driving time available.

10. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Then I'm not sure why you added the "keep SB hour safe" part.
    If you were actually using PC for what it was intended for, then it doesn't matter if you had driving time left or not.
    However, it seems to me that may not have been the case.

11. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    It’s my understanding that IF YOU’RE NOT UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE CARRIER (meaning not loaded or dispatched). The driver has been relieved of all duties, they can move under PC even if they have hours left to drive, AND pc doesn’t interrupt the current break.

On my ELD, I have to be off duty to utilize PC, obviously you can’t be logged in the sleeper and driving down the road.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.