personal conveyance thread

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mickeyrat, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    The regulations do not limit the number of hours you work. The regulations only regulate when you are allowed to drive. Think I'm wrong post a link or the regulation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    So it is their trailer?

4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    ***DING***

Round six.....

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Here is an example of PC...

I unload in Denver...Dispatch informs me there is no freight available, and there are 15 trucks MT before me, the company uses "first mt, first Disp"...

I decide to move myself and my equipment to SLC, where there is freight, I am paying for the fuel, I am paying for the insurance, I am responsible for all costs of this move. Even though the trailer is owned by the company, it is MT and not directed by the company to move or relocate to another location.

The planner for the SLC region does not assign me a load until I get to SLC zone and have my (company directed by policy) 10 hours rest before picking up/going to the next load. This Denver to SLC move of MT trailer and myself (tractor) would be considered personal conveyance as long as en-route, I am not assigned a load. If, while en-route to SLC, I am assigned a load, from that point, it becomes planned and not PC.

The same scenario would hold to PC if from SLC, I opted to do the same to CA...not under plan or dispatch.

Because I am not logging as "ON DUTY Driving"...this does not relieve me from highway use tax on miles traveled across any highway. the "use tax" still applies loaded or MT>

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Yeah but at that point you are moving for business. Your entire move is to get to a load. Sure the grey area may cover you now and those are the abuses that will come to an end.

The PC provision is for use outside of your business not positioning yourself for a load.

Scalemaster Thanks this.
  7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
  8. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    The move you describe is not home/terminal or terminal/home operation and is not short movement in the vicinity of enroute lodgings.

What you describe would definitely be on-duty/driving.

dibstr Thanks this.
  9. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    i meant to say "cant work OVER 14 hours )

but you still cant be on duty over 70 in 8 days, thats drive and on duty.

10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

scalemaster, i have to agree with you that one posted by otherhalf.

what about my example in post # 34 in this thread? i would assume since i was going home it would meet the PC criteria. it seems by your answer that mine would ok in your opinion.

11. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Here is what FMCSA said in their opinion of 2011.

But, since there is no mileage limit stated in Question 26, all of us are left to wonder what a "short trip" is.

FMCSA, in the 2011 opinion, continues to give us an idea of what their intent was for the PC exemption.

It sounds like FMCSA's intent for a PC "short trip" would not be "hundreds of miles."

So, Skateboardman, if you show me a log book claiming off-duty PC driving a distance of 600 miles (your example), I don't think I could buy that.

Put that number in FMCSA's example of commuting. Could you really afford to commute back and forth 600 miles from the terminal to your house in a CMV? I don't think so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.