Personal Conveyance

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scalemaster, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The original Personal Conveyance Guidance, which was a response to a question put in The JJ Keller Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Handbook (The Green Book, registered trademark) was when published probably 20 years ago was quite narrow in scope, but with enough vague wording to make for the confusion, and subsequent changes in interpretations we have now.
    The question first popped up when AOBRD's were approved for use when Werner pushed for their acceptance in the middle 1990's and the regulations had to be rewritten in order to accommodate the new technologies then emerging, satellite locations ( no GPS yet) and real time communications.
    There was no need for the guidance before then.

Rideandrepair and brian991219 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Exactly. Vague, due to poor rules and poor interpretations.
    A "scalemaster" that started this thread to clear things up has posted something that is 100% not true lol

4. Inspector

Inspector Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Upper Plains
    We have been seeing a lot of mobile home pullers trying to use number 7 as PC lately. The last one dropped in Idaho, and was going to the terminal in Missouri. The company told them they could do it under the "new" PC interpretation.

Examples of Uses of a CMV that Would Not Qualify as Personal Conveyance

The following are examples of uses of a CMV that would not qualify as personal conveyance include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. The movement of a CMV in order to enhance the operational readiness of a motor carrier. For example, bypassing available resting locations in order to get closer to the next loading or unloading point or other scheduled motor carrier destination.
    2. After delivering a towed unit, and the towing unit no longer meets the definition of a CMV, the driver returns to the point of origin under the direction of the motor carrier to pick up another towed unit.
    3. Continuation of a CMV trip in interstate commerce in order to fulfill a business purpose, including bobtailing or operating with an empty trailer in order to retrieve another load or repositioning a CMV (tractor or trailer) at the direction of the motor carrier.
    4. Time spent driving a passenger-carrying CMV while passenger(s) are on board. Off-duty drivers are not considered passengers when traveling to a common destination of their own choice within the scope of this guidance.
    5. Time spent transporting a CMV to a facility to have vehicle maintenance performed.
    6. After being placed out of service for exceeding the maximum periods permitted under part 395, time spent driving to a location to obtain required rest, unless so directed by an enforcement officer at the scene.
    7. Time spent traveling to a motor carrier’s terminal after loading or unloading from a shipper or a receiver.
    8. Time spent operating a motorcoach when luggage is stowed, the passengers have disembarked and the driver has been directed to deliver the luggage.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    One the the places where the "new" guidance has come in really handy is at US customs, particularly with USDA loads. If they take three hours for the good public servants at the USDA to get out of their chair and put their stamp on the paperwork, we can actually, legally, GTF out of there without incurring the indignant, righteous wrath of the DOT rookies at Bow Hill.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I thought they just changed the Co-Driver in jump seat rule allowing it to be off duty.

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Werner would let my Dad drive home from Omaha on PC to Chicago. Remember it well he was very surprised Had to log back on duty from House . That was 20 yrs ago. I Then was Leased to Heartland. Once a year I’d go to Iowa asked safety about that they agreed.Ive since read regs it states the same thing.You would think by now they would have a clear Final rule.I got audited 8 yrs agoI Asked about it And was told it’s a grey area. PA will try to get you on this one I fought it out with them and gave up.They got $50 from me but I told them my opinion of them.A lot of them think they can get away with talking you into a ticket.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's the point of the response. While the guidance states it must all be on-duty, the regs were changed way back on Feb 27, 2012 to allows team mates to be up front for up to 2 hours before or after (but not before and after) at least 8 hours in the sleeper.

Guidance is simply wrong here, and a few other examples. I only showed 4, but I was only on the second page of guidance too.... There is no way guidance can be seen the same a regs.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s crazy I’m sure all those Team Linehaul Drivers are amused

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    By the letter of the law is starting the truck to warm it up still off duty, or are you on duty since warming up the engine for maybe 30 minutes is necessary so as not to damage it?

DSK333 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.