Personal Security

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Revolvers&w, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Revolvers&w

Revolvers&w Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Indiana
    My driving experience consist of a few vacation trips to Florida.
    I have been associated with the industry as warehouse manager and forklift driver for over 20 years and am considering trucking in the future.
    My question is do most companies allow weapons?
    Do drivers carry anyway?
    I know there are some shay places you guys pass through every day and night how are you prepared?
    Stay Safe
    Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    No companies don't allow weapons. Feel free to use the forum search feature. There are a 100 threads on the topic.

misterG Thanks this.
  4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    C'mon, CC....you're not trying to shoot him down, are ya?

(But seriously...CC is correct.)

5. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    My company does

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have never felt the need for a weapon.

In fact, when I did carry one, I have noticed that a weapon is usually the thing that gets you in trouble.

But during my, so far, short trucking experience - I have never felt like I would have been better off if I had been armed.
    Never.

If the world goes to h@!! in a hand basket, well, I'll probably head for home for my Sting.

But until then, I am content with live and let live.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  7. Crash935

Crash935 Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Wyoming Mi
    Never carried and never needed to. Be aware of your surroundings when parked. Majority of the time you will be at a truck stop overnight. If out of the truck at night at the TS, walk in lit areas, dont walk between trucks, dont hang out in the lot and keep the doors locked. If you end up at a shipper overnight, park in a lit area visible from the road with the cab facing the road and keep the doors locked. If you think the area is to rough, get out of there.

Onlyhad one night where i was a little worried. Got into a older industrial area in the middle of the night but couldnt find the address. A local Leo came through on a B&E call and and found me sitting in the middle of the road trying to figure out where i was going. He led me to the receiver, informed me it isnt the best area and to give him my personal info and that he would check on me a few times during the night. Never had a problem and ended up going in at night several more times and usually had the local LEO roll thru and flash his lights right after i got there.

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    See?
    No worries.

9. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    The last 2 companies I've worked for allow it as long as you have a concealed permit.

10. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Its great to be concerned about safety but man don't be paranoid! Some drivers carry bats, tire thumpers, mace, guns etc.... If you carry a gun you will need a concealed weapons permit and even at that it is illegal in some states while it a gray matter in others. Personally I believe it is more trouble than worth but that's up to you. I think some gun owners maybe let their guard down and invite more trouble or bad situations because they know they have a gun. Nowadays it is fairly safe out there and like one of the other posters said above, you have to pay attention to your surroundings, park in well lit areas, etc... If you are parking on an off ramp in Compton then yes you will get jacked!

There are also a lot of little tricks and things you can do to insure your safety. Some use stickers that say "warning guard dog" or "truck protected by smith and wesson". You can also put "team operation" stickers on your truck. Some drivers hang hand cuffs in the window, retired law enforcement stickers, etc...

One little thing we would do is run a bungee cord from the airhorn to each door. If someone tries to open the door the airhorn goes off. We also had a great dane that rode with us.

There are many, many things you can do to unsure your safety. Just don't plan your driving career around them, you have many other things to worry about.

Good luck man and welcome to the forum!

bigjoel and Roadmedic Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.