Personal Security

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Revolvers&w, Apr 25, 2012.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I want the story that's behind this sentence :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Even if my company allowed me to carry a gun I couldn't. Georgia doesn't reciprocate with Florida so I wouldn't be able to make it out of Florida legally as I usually have to go up through Georgia.

In two and a half years I have never felt the need to have a weapon of any kind.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    No particular story, per se.
    I have just noticed a certain belligerence by some folk when confronted by someone carrying a firearm.

Well, one story perhaps.
    I was a security officer for the Santa Clara County Transit Authority in CA - the bus system.

Got a call that people were beating up busses on a certain road.
    Every bus that went down that road had rocks thrown at it, even windshield wipers ripped off.

A road supervisor was dispatched to the area first.
    Next call we get is from the RS, saying he can't get out of the car for fear of his life. He is surrounded, people are pounding on the car, jumping on it, etc.

I happened to be one of the first security guys on the scene. Three of us got there about the same time.
    And when we got there, there were people pounding and jumping on this poor road sup's car.
    He is just a guy that supervises bus drivers. He had no experience with this sort of thing.

So we break up the crowd and start to interview people as to what exactly is going on, and why.

Someone told me a particular person was involved somehow, so I went over to talk with him.
    He was a kid of perhaps 16 years.

As soon as I walked over to him and asked to speak with him, he turns around and pulls a knife on me.
    He's got both a mouth, and an attitude.
    Shouting at me about being a rent-a-pig, carrying a gun, etc., etc...

He advanced on me several times, after the first of which I pulled out my Kellight (aluminum flashlight that can double-duty as a club).
    He kept daring me to pull my gun and shoot him.
    I kept trying to talk him down, because if I pulled my gun I would not only shoot him - I would kill him.
    Stupid kid.
    It was the pistol that really set him off though.

So he advances a couple more times, and I step back a couple more times.
    And this was going nowhere good, very fast.

The crowd of people had kinda backed away from him. I guess they didn't want to be in the line of fire.
    But someone spoke up, telling/asking me not to shoot the kid. He was only upset at what had happened, and was a little crazy - and a little tweaked on PCP.
    I told her, if she thought she could calm him down she was was welcome to try.
    I had only wanted to talk with him, after all. From what I had heard, the kid was not even involved with the vandalism.
    So, she did, with the help of of few more folk.

The thing that started the whole mess?
    Several days earlier a child had been killed.
    The child was behind a car in a driveway and the driver didn't see the child and backed into the street, killing the child.

Nothing to do with the busses at all.
    They were just taking out their grief on the first something that came along, and I guess they decided the busses were driving too fast on their street where a child had just died because of another moving vehicle.

Point is?
    This kid went crazy because he saw someone with a gun coming towards him.
    I realized at the time that if I had been unarmed his knife would never have been drawn. He would have flipped me a bird and walked away.

The other side of the coin is those who carry.
    They get very brave, and stupid, when they have a piece of hardware that can kill from a distance.
    And many times, it will be an innocent bystander that gets hurt first.

windsmith Thanks this.
  5. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    My life is worth more than My job.

you can legally transport your gun through Georgia.
    Secured in a case not loaded, and ammo secured.
    The issue is when your destination is a state with out reciprocate.
    I should also add that the are some places that even this will get you in trouble (Chicago, NYC) I don't know the others right now but check all local laws, or have a good lawyer.
    Here is some good info http://www.cjrpc.com/interstate_1.htm
    and http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  6. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Knowledge is a dangerous thing. Of course GA reciprocates. Here is the website to see where your FL CWL is honored. We just lost NM last month for some reason.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
    Alabama (1,3,5)
    Alaska (1)
    Arizona (6)
    Arkansas (1)
    Colorado (1,4)
    Delaware
    Georgia (1)
    Idaho (3,6)
    Indiana (1,3,6)
    Iowa (6)
    Kansas (1)
    Kentucky
    Louisiana (1)
    Michigan (1,4)
    Mississippi (1)
    Missouri
    Montana (3)
    Nebraska (1)
    New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
    North Carolina (1)
    North Dakota (3,6)
    Ohio (1)
    Oklahoma (1)
    Pennsylvania (1,6)
    South Carolina (1,4,6)
    South Dakota (1,3)
    Tennessee (1,6)
    Texas (1,3,6)
    Utah (1,6)
    Vermont (2)
    Virginia (1,6)
    Washington (1,6)
    West Virginia (1)
    Wyoming (1,3)

7. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I delivered to a cold storage in New Orleans then found a TS only a mile away. I got there at noon, next load was the next day. I took a nap and woke up at about 8:15 hoping to get some dinner at the restaurant. Nope it closed at 8pm.

So I ordered a pizza from a nearby place, I didn't have any food on the truck that week.

Then I got a call back from the manager saying, "Sorry. We don't deliver to that area"!

So I put the seat belts through the door handles and kept the tire checker close to the bunk. But there were no problems...

Every shipper and receiver I have been to has had "NO WEAPONS" signs.

Mikeeee

8. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Keep in mind tho you can still travel through them states with a "gun" provided its by the Federal Law on Transportation of Firearms. and company policy is up to you to decide.

9. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Signs are not LAW (if asked to leave then you need to. Or you are trespassing) in Indiana. But agin you must check every state for that info. Keep it concealed no one knows.

10. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    No, but they are the requirements of your clients.

But those are adhered to as often as speed limits...

Mikeeee

11. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I can and have provided citation and federal reg. If you need more I will post it. Or if this wasn't about my post/links sorry and thanks.
    I just read what I missed... I think we are on the same page, sorry to quote you... You seem to know the regs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.