Personal Security

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Revolvers&w, Apr 25, 2012.

1. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I have heard of a few instances here and there of trucks being broke into and gunfire being exchanged. Have heard of a driver stabbing someone who tried to break into their truck. It happens. Not often but it does.

I think your chances of dying in an accident are astronomically higher! Nonetheless, people that aren't in the industry can only go by what they see on tv or in the movies.

bigjoel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Female Driver

Female Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Midwest
    You're absolutely right, and I think when I did deliver pizza, I would sometimes get complacent. Not often, but I could have definitely taken better precautions at times.

I don't plan on being complacent while OTR. I also plan on being more cautious than the average joe... just without a gun.

4. Boogers

Boogers Light Load Member

I haven't had any issue with anybody on the road...cept those noisy Reefer types that always seem to park next to me, even when the whole parking lot is practicaly empty, but I digress...

Don't be a jerk and mind your own business...and that's 99% of the battle right there.

5. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    You might not be in a safe environment with other people around. You might not be able to get into a truckstop or rest area.

I've pulled off isolated ramps, closed weigh stations, secluded lots just because I had to.

I was too tired to go any further. I didn't plan it that way, but circumstances don't always go as planned.

So there you are, all by yourself, you need to sleep. What are you going to do if a couple thugs try to jack you? Call 911? I got a family, and I'm not going to die out there.

Don't think it has ever happened huh? Maybe not very often, but it has and will happen. If you feel safe without protection, more power to you. I don't trust anything to chance.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have stayed at the same type of locations and believe it or not, never thought twice about it or worried.

Even now, I still do not worry.

7. burdman_02

burdman_02 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Climax, MN
    I guess I'm not super worried about it. Its in the back of my mind yeah all of the time, with a young family at home depending on me definately yeah. Personnally I am a bigger person and have a bit of a booming voice. Not that that will ward off anyone trying to break into my truck. But as far as walking accross the parking lot, it sure helps. In the truck I do carry a large hunting knife more as intimidation then anything. I know you shouldn't "bring a knife to a gun fight" but that way you don't need any special permits to carry it either. Good luck!

8. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Havent you been driving about a month? lol.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Not "sorely misinformed", just not up to date.

Anyways, I go to CA, NJ and a few other states that don't have reciprocity so it doesn't really matter.

10. Dexterr

Dexterr Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lafourche parish
    Just carry a hammer or brass knuckles... When I'm otr I don't worry about getting mug

11. Bullet15

Bullet15 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Hanover, PA
    Just sayin, brass knuckles are illegal to carry in all 50 states. Don't need no one gettin in any trouble. Now a "paper weight" that's shaped like brass knuckles...

aiwiron Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.