Persuing Trucking after college, have you done it?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BigpopperRunner, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Find a career field that doesn't think they're underappreciated, underpaid, and over worked though. Find something you like doing and can live comfortably off of and don't worry about making millions, thats just my simple man's thinking I guess.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Yup. Didnt like the cube... Or the office drama... And the pay sucked..
    Much happier driving for x3 more than i was getting in a cube.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some places that "require experience" will hire you if you go in person and ask to speak to the terminal manager. Happens every day.

5. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Ohh ok thanks! So it turns out I’m going to do trucking now, I’m just saving money for the school. I just wanted to ask if you can help me out about asthma. My asthma is very mild, practically non-existent, as a over weight kid my asthma was out of control. I took the initiative to exercise and lose weight and now my asthma is under controlled. I have a albuterol Inhaler that I use a few times a year and I refill it about one every 2-3 years. My question is why would happen in a DOT physical? From other people, they told me that I will get a 1 year medical card and that I have to do a physical for every year?

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The one year card is probably true, if the doctor finds out about the asthma.
    Can the doctor detect it when he listens to you breath with a stethoscope?
    A one year card isn't too bad, but a two year card is much better.

7. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Funny thing is that I had a physical with my primary doctor and they didn’t detect any abnormal sound through the sthetoscope. I don’t have any hard wheezing, just hard to breathe during certain occasions haha, that’s why I have my inhaler. Most of my primary doctors didn’t even know that I had asthma until I “disclosed” it to them. Would I have to disclose my asthma problems to the DOT physicians even tho I have them under control through my primary doc?

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're supposed to disclose it, but some of us are forgetful when it comes to protecting our livelihood.
    I'd probably forget it, and if the doctor did catch it, say something like "Dang, I never think about it because I only use the inhaler a couple times a year at most."

9. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    That’s what I was thinking of your earlier comment when you said “if the doctor finds out about the asthma” haha

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    My truck paid for my education. But it had what some would call a major downside. I got so used to doing things my way, that it was impossible for me to adjust to being a 'team player' and working with others aka fixing their incompetent mistakes. So that extremely over priced education turned out to be all but useless to me.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    I know how you feel, it’s stupid how the education system works. You go to school, get a college degree, come out to barely get into entry level jobs paying $11-15 an hr depending on your field. School is hella expensive, it’s not getting any cheaper. You still have tuition and also cost of living, being born is expensive and even when were dead and gone it’s still expensive lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.