Persuing Trucking after college, have you done it?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by BigpopperRunner, Feb 6, 2019.

1. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    I know what you mean about degrees, but having a degree does open value to some companies because they want you to have a college degree to enter their company. But also I agree with you about skills, a lot of people have a degree but no job skills, therefore, they won’t get hired. Similarly, people with great skills and no college degrees also don’t get hired or can’t move up in the company, so it can go one of both ways.

As your comment on trucking, it’s true that I won’t know “everything” about trucking but that’s why I’m willing to take the risk and find out myself. And also your comment on “rude awakening” that goes for every career. Even if your a medical doctor, nurse, lawyer, plumber, electrician, you may think you know how to do everything correctly on your career BUT there’s also more to learn and a lot of mistakes made and even new problems that come up that you don’t know how to solve.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am a college graduate with a degree in education. I went out and got my CDL because it gives me more options in terms of work. I've got a college degree and a CDL. I'll always be able to find somewhere to work. Having both is totally beneficial....I just really like long haul trucking though. To the public it may not be the sexiest job, but why does the public matter?

4. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Lol it’s pretty sexy to me man! Haha, but your right I believe that a CDL can give you more job options and that you can always find a trucking but because there in demand. The trucking industry keeps the world going and without truckers this world wouldn’t exist. What field did you study?

5. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Scratch that about what field you studied lol I just read education.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I studied elementary education K-6. I have the degree, but I never went to get a teaching license. After seeing how it is to teach kids nowadays, I decided that wouldn't work for me

7. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Ahh got cha, my friend is a k2 and also k3 teacher and he tells me he regrets it because kids don’t listen and they throw things at him haha. He currently works in inglewood, CA, which is sort of the bad part of town. He’s going to take a pay cut and teach at his old school by six flags CA.

8. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Graduated from a 4 year university program intent on going to law school afterwards.

Took some time off to work, and eventually realized that I would never be able to save enough money while paying living expenses on an entry level salary. Changed jobs a few times, but this inevitably proved to be the case.

Decided I would go trucking, as the $6000 tuition for trucking school was both more affordable and offered a much better return than any other trade school training.

It’s a decade later and I earn more driving a truck as I would working as a prosecutor or a young lawyer. I’ve basically given up on going back to school to take a lower paying job - I don’t need to spend $50k to do that.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Going into secondary education for a career degree has some merit. Have a BS in engineering.
    Was it worth the time, yes. Is it of any value, yes.
    Even started working on masters.
    In the engineering fields, a number of problems exist. One is people tend to get pigeonholed to a specific area. It it hard to move across disciplines. Second is age. With time your wisdom becomes expensive. No company wants to pay for that. Cheaper to hire the fresh grad, hungry with bills to pay.

So back to trucking, make about the same income, has different BS, but less of it. No corporate politics.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  10. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    I met so many lawyers and attorneys that told me they regretted going to law school. They spent so many hours and also a lot of money for graduate school. They graduate, come out and work for a company that isn't what they expected it to be. Some I know owe more than 500k, some even up to 1 million, no joke. It's scary to see them charge so much and starting law school graduates barely make anything. But don't get me wrong, law is a very good field to get into and it protects our rights.

11. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Engineer is a very rewarding carrier, I originally wanted to be a engineer but chose the physical therapy route because I was undecided for 3 years after high school. The main reason why I chose this route was because my cousin convinced me and now I regret it haha. Anyways where'd you go to school at?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.