Pete 389. Parking brake won't release, please help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Just.Do.It, Sep 2, 2019.

1. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    If I remember correctly the first guy only charged $25 so don’t think he would be considered a parts chicken.

BigBob410 and Just.Do.It Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Just came upon this thread.
    six weeks ago I had the exact same problem the OP described . I had just pulled into the Freightliner dealer to pick up some parts i had ordered earlier. Could not release brakes when I went to leave. I called out to a mechanic i know there and he ambled over.

15 minutes later and $18.00 poorer i was gone.

QR1 valve.
    can't imagine $600 that the OP talked about. Unless that included road service. But still.....

4. Just.Do.It

Just.Do.It Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    He didn't charge me, I just gave him $20 because he spend some time under my truck, but didn't fix anything. His boss was going to charge me next day for push/pull valve assembly, which they were going to get from the Pete dealer. They had no clue what was the real problem. Another mechanic did correct diagnostic, and replaced QR1 valve, fixed my truck. Charged me a lot of money though. I had no choice but to pay the bill, and be on my way to Philadelphia, was already late. In the end everything worked out, I unloaded my cars on time. Now sitting at the Walmart, waiting for Pete parts store to open in the morning ) Gotta get new truck, already getting tired of this one. Or at least replace this stupid exhaust pipe, among with damaged air hoses and connectors. Not long ago I had to fix front drive axle differential, it was blown in pieces ( 280K miles.. W T F ) . Also happened in California, when weather was hot. I was totally surprised. But now I am getting convinced, that all these problems are happening because of stupid exhaust design. Everything under the truck getting TOO HOT because of it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Just.Do.It

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    $600 was just a valve. Also there was a labor charge. I don't even want to talk about how much I paid in total. When you get stuck on the shoulder, far from any decent city, during long weekend.. things get expensive.

6. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    I guess there is more money in parts sales than truckIng!

7. Just.Do.It

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    You mean emergency roadside repairs? Probably so. But I am sure it's more dangerous, one day this guy will get stabbed in the eye for overcharging poor truckers )

Swine hauler Thanks this.
  8. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Where are you sitting at? I know Wal mart but what city and state?

9. Just.Do.It

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL

Fremont CA. Thank you, but no worries, I'll fix those connectors in the morning. Also, I love walmart, they have everything I need, except maybe shower ))

10. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    LOL...was just curious. I bought my 379 from a Peterbilt dealership with a Wal Mart right accross the street but it wasn’t Fremont CA.
    Be safe and let us know how you make out tomorrow

Just.Do.It Thanks this.
  11. Just.Do.It

Jul 23, 2018
    Tampa FL
    Fixed one fitting yesterday, now on my way to OH and FL. Will fix the rest at home. It's time for a 2 week vacation!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.