Pete 579 inverter question.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wildey, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Wildey

Wildey Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2015
    NC
    Just got a new 579 from my company, but I am looking to install my own inverter instead of having the company do it since they make you buy inverter/install kit at their prices (inflated.)

What's different here is where my question really pertains to. The cables leading off the factory 110 outlets has a loose end under bunk where inverter should have been. I have no idea what to do with thing. It has a round end with 3 round posts in it. While it would be nice to use outlets so no extension cord to trip over, is it better to just do it the way I always have and ignore the outlets?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Two thoughts, first is are you able to install it yourself and a side question what is their policy on you installing it?

Second is, show the plug?

A follow-up question is this - why are you working for a company that makes you buy the install kit for the inverter? I know it is yours but they should provide that.

4. Wildey

Wildey Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2015
    NC
    here's a picture off phone.

20240123_214704.jpg

Ive put in a few over the years just using to welding leads, a drill, grommets, ans something to seal rhe hole. Company policy is they really don't care until you burn the truck down then they say it wasn't authorized.

As to why on buying their kits? You don't if you have a bit of know how, but in this case I think they planned it so you have to buy something either from them or the dealer, but what that is not sure. I don't have a dealer handy to ask, but ain't no way this hooks up to one without something else.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK I know the plug, I do not have a part number for it but Pete, like Mack does order Xantrex Freedom HF plug-and-play crap for factory installs so you can contact Xantrex and talk to a tech there who can give the right part number for, I know they do or did sell them because we bought maybe a couple of dozen in the past to put in better inverters in the trucks.

That said, I am going to suggest you put a fuse at the battery and grommet the cable cab entry points, do not use anything less than 4 ga wire or better 1 gauge if you running any distance from the batteries.

Wildey and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Wildey

Wildey Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2015
    NC
    Feel kinda dumb now, but have a new issue. Found a part number on one of the other cords, its for a Phillips shore power setup. Truck isn't specced for that.

Figured I'd look to see if there was some kind of adapter that would let me use them anyway. Yes/no as I found several on some sketchy sites but some had different ratings. Sent a email off to an address found under Phillips shore power about this as I couldn't find anything but the assemblies on their site. Worth a shot.

Also those Xantrex units look nice I already have 2 of my own inverters, 1 used 2500W, 1 new 3000W, but something to consider when these finally give up the ghost.

In the end not dead set on using factory plugs, but just would be nice as they are conveniently located.

P/N in question.

20240124_154649.jpg

7. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    After wondering all morning where I have seen that plug before.
    It hit me same plug thats on my adjustable bed controller power pack

8. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    If it was me, I'd just next time in the shop talk to a friendly mechanics and ask them if they'd install for like $5, ok go up to $10. But that way takes all the responsibility and stress off your head. Stress is a silent killer that can't be detected, driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.