Peterbilt 379 Cruise not working

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Akkaid, Dec 27, 2020.

1. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I don’t know how to answer that.
    All I know is there is a valve located right under your foot pedal. For me that valve was the cause of intermittent cruise and Jake working/not working.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    Go back to the wiring schematic posted in this section. Wire 953 is a common wire to the clutch, brake & cruise control switches. Look for a brake pressure switch that has that # wire.

4. Akkaid

Akkaid Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Thanks pup. Found service brake switch behind dash . I've replaced it before. Now it has no power to it at all, any ideas?

Switch works fine, but I have to way to know if there is supposed to be power to it or not....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  5. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The brake switch is a ground circuit, there should be no power there.
    It is normally closed so in the "normal" position it should have continuity.
    When the brakes are applied it will go open.
    You should be able to take your multimeter and unplug the switch and verify one side (wire 953) has ground. Then hook the multimeter to the switch and verify it operates as above. Next step is to verify ECM is getting the signal by using a multimeter on the ecm (wire 543 G2).
    Trans should have 2 speed sensors, one for the ECM and one for the speedo. Some have one sensor with twin plugs on it.
    Fastest way is to get someone with a laptop hooked onto it and they can see what inputs are working.

Attached Files:

Oxbow, wore out, Akkaid and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Akkaid

Akkaid Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Could be an issue, it closes when I apply breaks. I'm using a haldex 13250....If I just bridge the wires together, should cruise work?

7. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    Whats the harm in trying?

8. Akkaid

Akkaid Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    It did not, I'll test ecm wires when I get to Kentucky....thanks a ton pushbroom.

9. Akkaid

Akkaid Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Well, found a shop with a laptop, $400 later they say everything looks fine save for a sid 52 fmi 3 error, which he says isn't the problem. Don't see how everything looks good in ecm and still no CC.

10. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    If all the switches looked good to him all that's left is the speed sensor circuit as it cant be read when parked.

11. Akkaid

Akkaid Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2017
    He had me back up And pull forward, it worked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.