Peterbilt 379 Missing and shaky idle

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Easton379, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Easton379

Easton379 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2024
    Colorado Springs Colorado
    Hello. I am new to this forum and I apologize if I posted in the wrong section. I usually read a lot on here but I can’t seem to find anyone who has the same problem. I have a 2007 Peterbilt 379 with a c15 Acert nxs and I have a shake at idle and a miss at around 1300+ rpm. The miss sounds like a fuel knock and it’s really loud and bad when I’m loaded but softer and quieter when I’m empty. Fuel pressure is good, it doesn’t smoke, no code, and passes a cut out test. Has minimal blow by and uses about a gallon of oil between 10k oil changes and doesn’t use any coolant. Does anyone have any ideas? I’m at a loss and new in the business so funds are low to send it in and have it really torn into

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Did you do and individual injector cut out test ?

Last Call Thanks this.
  4. Easton379

Easton379 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2024
    Yes we did and no real change between cylinders

5. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I asked cuz when I had my 5Ek series, I had a bad injector that didn’t show in the Cat ET. The solenoid was fine I guess but the mechanicals of the injector was bad. It missed when I did the individual cut out test. That’s why I asked.

6. Easton379

Easton379 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2024
    My mechanic wants to pull all of the injectors and check the O-rings use a camera to check the cylinders and do a compression test. Have you used aftermarket injectors before? I was thinking about buying a set of six and having him put them in because cat wants 860 each

7. Diesel Dave

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I only replaced one injector the time I had my 379. Bought it at peterbilt. Cat was more expensive. Any work that I had done to my Cat was all Genuine Cat parts. Others in this forum can elaborate on aftermarket parts.

8. Easton379

Easton379 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2024
    Ok thank you. I’m going to try new injectors hopefully that fixes it

9. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Listen to what @Diesel Dave says … Do NOT buy reman injectors find your bad one and go through your Peterbilt dealer and buy a Cat injector you will be money ahead

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    Engine all original? I had a bad reman head from a platinum in frame, injector seats in the head weren't properly machined and had the same symptoms. Didn't start doing it until a couple years after the rebuild. Cat stood behind it and warrantied everything.

Last Call Thanks this.
  11. Easton379

Easton379 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2024
    I bought the truck 8 months ago with 400k on an inframe. How did you figure out that was your problem?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.