Peterbilt 379 Smoke from battery wires

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by FOB, Sep 15, 2018.

1. FOB

FOB Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2018
    I am trying to help my boyfriend figure out the issue why smoke is coming from the wires above the battery. He has a Peterbilt 379. The truck was running fine, he parked for 30 mins or so, then when he was backing out of the parking he heard a spark then saw smoke coming from the steps, that's where the battery is. He pu tit out and notice it was from the wires above the battery. Any idea how to diagnose?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That truck is probably OOS until the basic battery pack is load tested and examined with test equipment electrically for health and damage if any. This may require a shop.

Starting there. You basically will need to have a mechanic go over each of the big wires and eamine them, follow them and hunt for the short that is a problem.

Im sorry I cannot offer a answer, only a starting point. It's a huge can of worms when something that basic shorts. These are not car batteries we are dealing with deep cycle packs that if not treated with respect can seriously and absolutely put one or more people into the chemical burn ward for weeks and months, rob vision pernamently and light that truck on fire. There is a gawdgum bunch of power in them things.

Be very careful.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Obviously a cable near the battery is rubbed raw. Further down it would be fused. Start chasing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There are times when people need to step up with the money and have professionals deal with issues, this is one time.

IF he can't afford a few hundred to ensure the truck doesn't burn to the ground, then he needs to be a company driver and get rid of the truck.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    ∆∆∆ what @Ridgeline said. And maybe the truck doesn't burn. Maybe you fry a $3000 ECM

KB3MMX, roshea, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Was it wires burning or the batteries boiling?

KB3MMX, peterbilt_2005, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    One hit wonder or he figured it out.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Or even battery positive and negative terminal bolts not tight. When was last time he serviced his batteries?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Had a Freightliner Classic that did this just when I shut down for the night.
    In my case, it was a wire that went to a boost post that was rubbing on a bolt.
    So I’ll probably be something like that.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. peterbilt1999

peterbilt1999 Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2018
    where they leave the battery box in back of box mine are wrapped in rubber so they don't rub through good luck

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.