Peterbilt 389 Shakes So Bad It Will Take Your Virginity.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by newdriver2, Aug 5, 2019.

1. crookedTRanspo

crookedTRanspo Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2019
    trucks steers were replaced with brand new michelins AFTER the shake started and another set of older steers mounted on wheels from another O/O that had no shaking issues were put on the truck and shake persisted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Belt separation in tire.
    Rotate your tires, just to see if it changes.
    Are the tires out of round. Are they seated on the wheels
    Good luck

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    Rubber Duck KW
    the drive shafts were rebalanced and all the yokes were looked over and then looked over again. shake didnt change.
    pulled the rear small driveshaft out and drove around with the diff lock on shake didnt change. pulled the second drive shaft and ran the truck at 80mph/1700rpm to check the carrier bearing NO SHAKE.

5. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    Xsetra
    the tires were all rechecked when brand new wheel were mounted on the truck. the tiress were all rotated accordingly also

6. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    xsentra
    also the shake was there after habing centramatics, removed centramatics and shake was still there. the shake is also there after buying brand new wheel and balance.. had the tires checked by two very good tire shops

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Sounds to me like the driveshaft angle is wrong for that back one to me. I know in the 80s they had problems with that from the factory even, think that was the main shaft though.

8. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    thats what i thought and was right. the truck has a Peterbilt Flex Air system, and the spacers for the top bushings were completely wrong for the truck. replaced the old with ones that came with the truck OEM/ from the factory and actually had all the pinion angles checked today at peterbilt and they were all well beneath spec.

9. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    they were all within spec. all the axle angles are fine

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They were in the 80s too, and Eaton told Pete, no you can not have that for an angle it will shake like a SOB. My dad worked for Pete in Sioux Falls, that's how I know about this stuff that's older than me.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. crookedTRanspo

Aug 5, 2019
    when i was up at pete today i was looking over newer trucks. majority of them had VERY similar ride heights and axle angles as my truck. also moving the ride height really changed nothing other then how easy the truck went shifted into the gear pockets

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.