Peterbilt 579 vs KW 680

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ProduceHauler, Mar 22, 2012.

1. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    Those trucks are both but ugly. They look like the got there styleing from international or freightliner. Looks like Pete and KW are trying to become a fleet truck company. I will keep my 379's thank you.

Cranky Yankee Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProduceHauler

ProduceHauler Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    I figured that too - above pictures don't do the justice to both trucks. Peterbilt for some reason is hiring lousy photographers or studios when KW knows how to "lie" in pictures. Those 360 degree animations shows 579 being very well designed, much nicer than 386 was. T680 will lack of character as soon as novelty wears off it. Thats what happens when designers don't feel the spirit... All whats left now is comfy interior... It's going too look like T700 on the road

4. George C

George C Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2009
    See them both.
    The color on the KW was a special show color borrowed from the Ferrari paint catalog. It was the only thing keeping the butt ugly and soul-less KW from being passed by to see the sharper Peterbilt.

I'm not a fan of either. Both have a smaller cab than the T-2000 sized ballroom, and both have similar interiors. I know that fuel mileage is driving the designers, and this is a better looking version of previous designs, so I am sure they will sell tons of them.

5. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    New trucks are suppose to attract the buyer, not increase the value of their previous models.

I like the 386 & T 660, but hope this stray designer/engineer at Paccar retires soon!

6. truckerjc

truckerjc Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2011
    hoxie,kansas
    I seen them engineers drinking together, they looked like the 3 stooges

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  7. PeteVolvo tech

PeteVolvo tech Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    WI
    From what Paccar is doing I wonder how long it will be before they push Pete and Kw dealers together and Pete and KW will just be trim levels. They keep making the trucks more the same with this being that lattest example. They already have the exact same wiring, frame horns, and many components. Peterbilts low air and flex air suspentions are on KWs and now another common cab even more the same between brands than the T2 and 387. At least this truck has a aluminum cab and doors. The plastic trucks just suck. I want to see Isx under the hood to see how it will be to work on. As far as the MX I'd be glad to never see one again.

8. slowhandpete

slowhandpete Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2011
    salem,in
    Might as well put a freightliner emblem on the pete because it is starting to look like a century class freightshaker

9. PistolPete

PistolPete Bobtail Member

May 13, 2010
    I was a Pete sales rep until October of last year, and before I left this truck was being touted as the future of Peterbilt. PACCAR apparently spent a lot of money researching what the market wanted, and this is the result. The biggest complaint was the size of the cab which has been addressed on the 579. We were initially told it would be stamped steel, so I was surprised to hear it was going to be aluminum (which is a good thing). This is apparently going to be the cab for all future Pete models. I'm sure the Cummins will be offered at some point, but PACCAR is really pushing the MX for obvious reasons. It seemed like we had customers that liked the engine and some that just didn't have good luck with it. I believe the type of application had a lot to do with the perception of the engine. I think PACCAR will get the bugs worked out (and maybe up the size and output) and will eventually have a great engine. The auto tranny is the way of the future and it's what the fleets (and some O/Os) want. In most cases it can get more consistent fuel economy and have less breakdowns with inexperienced drivers. The new Allison TC10 will be the new transmission to keep an eye on.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the 388 and 389 are on the way out thanks to the new fuel economy standards being imposed on heavy trucks by the federal govt. All new trucks (with the exception of some vocational models) will be aerodynamic. Peterbilt will still make a premium truck, but they have realized that they must be able to meet the needs of fleets and meet fuel economy standards if they are going to survive.

fland Thanks this.
  10. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Anyone who wants an Auto-Trans on a big truck needs to get their heads examined.....

Pair a 9 speed two-pedal with a low HP engine like the MX....Now pair that up with a OD/HH load running through the Rockies.....

Yep...How many times do we have to see the word "FAIL" before it's understood?

PACCAR would be foolish to stop producing the 389 or the T800H......Do they think that all loads and all roads are the same?

Edit: Add this as well....shippers and brokers are pushing for net loads to increase to 50K or more on the wagons....Can those auto-trans MX's handle that on a consistent basis?....Just like the Idiots who are pushing LNG for OTR rigs....Might as well just pair up a ten speed bike with a cart and try to haul 50K in the cart while running Vail....See how far those idiots get.....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  11. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.