Peterbilt bouncing problem!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by SouthernPlains, Aug 24, 2014.

1. SouthernPlains

SouthernPlains Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum and truckers report. Anyways to the problem. I've read numerous threads and bouncing problems with the Pete low air leaf. So to catch y'all up to date, my 99 Pete 379 developed a bad bounce when empty and loaded. But worse empty. It didn't start until after I changed both rear ends on the truck.(just changed ratios, no prob with old pumpkins). The bounce comes and goes often and when it happens it's like a bounce bounce bounce then stops. Extremely noticeable goin over bumps and seams in the road. So I had three shops look at it and nothing. So started with the tires and it's gotten expensive from there. I have replaced all the bushings, shocks and air bags. bumper to bumper cab and frame. All new u-joints, torque arms too. And nothing. So I just put the old rear ends back in and still doing same thing. Also just had it aligned and put new wheel bearings all the way around. I'm at a loss and would greatly appreciate any help. Sry to b so long winded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Only thing left is Kingpins and leveler valves.

4. SouthernPlains

SouthernPlains Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Both cab and suspension valves are new and ride height is correct. Would kingpins cause a bounce that I feel in the seat and not the steering wheel?

5. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    General rule of thumb: front end problem is felt in the steering wheel & rear of truck/drive shaft comes up through the seat. I had a W9 with a bad vibration that was not noticeable in the steering wheel but it sure did shake the truck. Turned out to be a steer tire with a couple of dips in the outer rib. To me they did not appear to be big enough to cause the shaking I had. I could let go of the steering wheel and the truck would go straight down the road without any wobble in the steering wheel. Removed that tire - no more shake. Go figure

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I had the same problem. The bounce would come and go. I even had my mechanic ride beside my truck in his car and could see the rear end bouncing. I did have a 3 axle alignment done 3 times. It wasn't until my mechanic asked if they used a torch to align the rear. I said no and was totally confused. He told me where to go. It took me 2 weeks before my appointment. They had to use a torch to take the nuts off the rear and put shims in. One axle was pointing one way and the other pointing the other way. My front was way out also. That solved ALL my tire problems and bounce.

The alignment was done at FleetPride in Londonderry, NH by an old timer. He's been there forever and that's all he does there. He told me my truck was never aligned properly since there were no shims anywhere on the truck. They use one big ### air wrench there.

7. johnboy-detroit

johnboy-detroit Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    it's the kingpin.. hook to a newer trailer, and it will ride like a new bounce free sexy beast

8. bullhauler11

bullhauler11 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2012
    What did you ever find out what it was

9. McTurtle1600

McTurtle1600 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Did you ever figure out the problem? I’m having the same exact bounce.

10. Mijodiaz

Mijodiaz Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2023
    I had the same problem what I did was let some air out of my tires. Everything else was replaced front end, bushings ,kingpins, everything beforehand. It wasn't perfect but it cured most of the shake and the bounce. Too much air can cause you to feel the road excessively. So just try putting less than the recommended PSI on steer tires.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.