Petition to oppose FMCSA speed limiter mandate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bret1984, May 5, 2022.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That could have just as much to do with their hiring requirements and driver retention as it does their governed speed. Do you think Swift will be any safer going 10mph slower? What were their numbers back when they were running 55-58 everywhere? What were Prime’s numbers for all the years they were 62?

Based on my experience Raider is doing something right because at least their drivers are courteous. You don’t generally see them running 45 in a 35 through a town and not letting people around them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I'm limited to 72 and I'm fine with that. Some companies set the limit at 68.
    In CA the company set it at 62, that's 7mph over the speed limit. What speed do we go with? Who is correct?
    If a speed limit is 80 for trucks in most of Utah why should they change it to 55 like in CA?

The real question is that is it's so good for the environment and safety then why isn't there a push for cars to have limiters?

4. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    States with split speed limits have been doing the research for years and are trashing them as the data comes in. What your essentially creating is a eternal split speed limit. I tend to drive slow. 63 to 64. I want guys passing me. Understanding traffic flow is crucial. Speed limiters is the most dumbed down idea that only the dumbest people in Washington, who really don't care anyhow, can come up with.
    They won't fix one fn thing about cell phones while four wheelers get beheaded plowing into the back of trailers. They would rather redesign a Dot bumper than admit the problem is cell phones. I'm not even sure what to think. Speed isn't the problem. Bad truck drivers are. They have no solution for that, so low hanging fruit it is.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I don't think it's unsafe. Many trucks are already running 65 to 68. You feel how you feel though.

6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Because cars don't pollute air. You know that. Besides it ain't like it's that many people driving their cars for 11 hours a day or necessarily for commerce. That's just my guess.

7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Bad drivers speed you know.

sealevel Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    One of the things that scares me about the FMCSA's proposed rule is that they don't really give the speed they want to end up with. Will it be 65 mph as everyone seems to think? Or 68? Maybe to try to somewhat appease the opposition. But I doubt it will be that fast. Or will it be 62. The ATA seems to favor 65 but the Teamsters and groups like Public Safety would love to see it at 62. Maybe the final rule will have all three speeds listed in it so they can changed it at will.

One thing you can count on. There are many state legislators that have already complained about the turtle races trucks are having, holding them up. If this is enacted, there will be many states that will want to restrict trucks to the right lane unless the are three or more lanes on the road. And they will do it too.

9. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Dude I gotcha and understand your point of view. I'm for punishing and your for regulation. I personally think the industry has fallen into a #### hole it can't recover from. Not sure what the answer is. I find this to be way more over reach than the ELD mandate. They are literally trying too dictate the flow of traffic.
    I would think two thinking people of right mind on opposite sides could come up with a realistic solution.
    I care, you care. We both drive. The people making the decisions could literally care less than 2 ####s. I'm cool with some regulation, but I honestly think this one will cost more lives.

kemosabi49 and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  10. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    You said don’t cherry pick, yet cherry picked two carriers. See the stats for Prime who are governed at nearly the same as May or Raider Express? How about an O/O company where trucks are not governed, like Oakley Trucking or Mercer Transportation?

Or, to really cherry pick, how about me? None of the trucks I’ve ever bought have been governed. And the only moving violation I’ve ever had was when I was 21 doing 64 in a 55 on a rural county road in north eastern Colorado. Never been in an accident. Maybe I’m just a cut above most everyone else.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    It's a huge part of the prison that's being built around us but I'll digress to preserve the thread's intended subject matter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.